What ever happened to the user notcardio?

Speaking of whom, how is Mickster ? Haven't seen him around for a while.
Hey grim...and notcardio!! I'm doing fine. As notcardio said...this place depresses me too much. I pop the site on every now and then. I guess in hopes that it's a little less supporting of...well...you know. I've joined the SOS forum. To be honest...it's not better than this site was.....before...you know. So many cool people here.

Best to all here!!

Mick

dude, that's awesome ........ I'm glad to hear you're wanting to gig ....... so many players just don't want to hassle with it once they're not young and pretty anymore

as for being 60 .....lol ....... I'm 71! ...... :oops:

I just picked up a bass gig for a 12 piece band to add to my schedule ...... most of what I do here in Fl is solo because ..... MONEY!!

But I'm starting to feel the need for band interaction and now my finances are kinda ok so I'm making myself available in the band market again.
Took about 2 weeks to get offered this gig but a 12 piece won't work more than every month or two so I'll still be band shopping for another somethin'
Sweet. The 12-piece band would be so nice to play in. So much ground you can cover, musically. What's your bass and amp of choice?

I'm pretty sure I'll still be going when I'm 71, unless I'm out sailing round the world. I've been gigging regularly for the last 5 years on bass. Love playing bass in a band. For while, I was in 3 bands. I recently quit one band (the most active one) because the lead singer/band leader couldn't stay sober through the gig. So, now I play guitar in my original band and bass in my classic rock dad band.

What's your bass and amp of choice?
well ..... unlike back in Baton Rouge I rarely play bass here so I still have my old SWR amp and a Schecter bass ....5 string.
I'm old but after switching to 5 string 20 years ago I'm a 5 string player ..... and has to be 35" scale so the 'B' string isn't flappy.
Bass was my primary instrument for a couple of decades back in the day but over here it's almost all git/sax/vocals but I am a bass player, not a guitar player playing at bass.
I learned bass, sax and guitar within about a year of each other 59 years ago and always played in bands with all of them until moving to Florida 16 years ago when it became mostly git/sax.

My SWR has gotten glitchy so unless it's a simple fix I'll likely replace it with one of the cheap lightweight amps out now.
Looking at a T.C.Electronics or a Bugera ..... both under 400 bucks and plenty of power ..... but I'm not locked into that ..... I only just got the gig and started looking into this a few days ago.
I have no doubt that basically any modern amp would be fine.

My Schecter has also gotten glitchy but I may just replace the electronics because it plays aight and there's no floppiness to the 'B' string and no dead spots or buzzing which in itself is an accomplishment with a 5 string.
But Spector has an entry level 5 string that looks interesting so maybe.

So the shorter answer is I don't really know yet

Last edited:
dude, that's awesome ........ I'm glad to hear you're wanting to gig ....... so many players just don't want to hassle with it once they're not young and pretty anymore

I just picked up a bass gig for a 12 piece band to add to my schedule ...... most of what I do here in Fl is solo because ..... MONEY!!

But I'm starting to feel the need for band interaction and now my finances are kinda ok so I'm making myself available in the band market again.
Took about 2 weeks to get offered this gig but a 12 piece won't work more than every month or two so I'll still be band shopping for another somethin'

What type of music are you all doing in the 12 piece? I would think probably anything and everything, a 12 piece should be capable of covering a lot of ground. Horn section?

Do you guys(and girls?) rehearse, or is everyone pretty reliable to do their homework and work it out on the spot during live performance?

Sweet. The 12-piece band would be so nice to play in. So much ground you can cover, musically. What's your bass and amp of choice?

I'm pretty sure I'll still be going when I'm 71, unless I'm out sailing round the world. I've been gigging regularly for the last 5 years on bass. Love playing bass in a band. For while, I was in 3 bands. I recently quit one band (the most active one) because the lead singer/band leader couldn't stay sober through the gig. So, now I play guitar in my original band and bass in my classic rock dad band.

Have you been working on any builds lately, still doing that?

I had an Ibanez 5er for a while, but didn't like the B string at all. Lifeless. Plus, I didn't spend enough time with it to get past the having the additional string. Sold it for what I bought it for, so that's okay.

I have Fender MIM P-bass with flats and my homebuilt with rounds. Those are the only two I use these days. Got an Ampeg 2x10 combo. I get a lot of compliments on that Amp. It's starting to show its age, though. I might have to re-tolex it soon.

Hey Mick. I started a 5-string fretless for an old navy buddy coupla years ago, but i messed up the neck 3 times, then the wife had medical issues that took up our time. Never got back to it. I am now thinking of selling all my wood working stuff. I got my two basses and don't really want to build any more.

I had an Ibanez 5er for a while, but didn't like the B string at all. Lifeless. Plus, I didn't spend enough time with it to get past the having the additional string. Sold it for what I bought it for, so that's okay.
That's cause it's 34" scale ..... 5 string has to be 35" scale for the B to be happening.
Most of 'em are 34" ..... only ones I know that are 35" are Jacksons, Spectors and Schecters although I haven't dug deeply into it and I'm sure there's more.
But 34" to me ends up with a floppy dead B string.

Also I don't like a 5 for the extra low notes although I will use them ..... the specific reason I like a 5 is to be able to play low 'E' on the 5th fret .... that alone makes it worth it but it simply has to be 35" scale.

What type of music are you all doing in the 12 piece? I would think probably anything and everything, a 12 piece should be capable of covering a lot of ground. Horn section?

Do you guys(and girls?) rehearse, or is everyone pretty reliable to do their homework and work it out on the spot during live performance?
4 piece horn section ...... I glanced at the proposed set list for Biketoberfest ..... I saw some B S & T ..... some Steely Dan ( FM and Pretzel Logic I think) .... several Chicagos .... ummmm ...oh here we go, on my phone:

Pick Up the Pieces
House of Blue Lights
Saturday in the Park
Make Me Smile
Josie
FM
Pretzel Logic
Back to Daytona ( a Floyd Miles song .... Reuben and I played with him some the few years before he died )
Mountain To Climb
Higher and Higher
Rosalita
Let It Roll ... Little Feat
You Made Me so Very happy
Dat's Right ( off Reubens recent CD )
and freakin' FRANKENSTEIN!!!!

As for rehearsing and everyone knowing their parts ....... lol, we'll see.
Reuben says one rehearsal ..... but I'm thinking we should have a rhythm section rehearsal too.
But I'm just the bass player and have no opinions .... Silent Steve I am.

Bob Dionne runs the horns and that's sorta what he does locally ...... he'll have charts for the hornies and his charts are usually close to right ..... they almost always have to stop and confer and rewrite parts but they're mostly reading charts.

As for the drumber and the keys guy ( don't know either of 'em ) ... I have no idea.
Reuben said he expects everyone to learn their parts and if they don't then why did he go to the trouble of getting the songs on MP3 for everyone.
Well you know as well as I do the reason he said that is because dammit! ... there'll will be those that don't .....

I'll know my parts and the bass player knowing where he's going helps everyone else that may be a little tentative so hopefully it'll sound good first time out.
I'll practice every one of these songs a couple times every single night starting as soon as he gets the MP3s to me and I'll listen to them over and over and over every night driving to and from my gigs. I'll flat out be able to walk in and play it first time .... that's kinda my thing .... I do the work and then the gig goes easy.

Reuben said one reason he was glad I'd do it is that way he has at least one person he won't have to worry about.
But it's all pros so for the most part it should be free of trainwrecks

Last edited:
I had an Ibanez 5er for a while, but didn't like the B string at all. Lifeless. Plus, I didn't spend enough time with it to get past the having the additional string
I have a Weston 5 string. For the first few years I had it, I wasn't a great fan of the B string because it was too twangy. In fact, they all were. So I changed them for flatwounds so I could do some slurring and the other 4 were great but the B was so thick, it hardly made a note that could be identified ! I changed the B and since then, it's been brilliant. Wouldn't swap it for anything, even though it's not a known brand.
That's cause it's 34" scale ..... 5 string has to be 35" scale for the B to be happening
To be honest, I don't know what scale my bass is ! But the B makes a huge difference. For a couple of years when I first started playing bass, I played a 3-string because early on I broke the G and I never got around to replacing it. So I had to re-train my brain when I got a 4-string. Then 22 years later, I had to do it all over again when I got the 5-string.
Also I don't like a 5 for the extra low notes although I will use them
I specifically made the change to a 5 so I could have some lower notes. When I was playing the 3 and 4 string, I lost count of the number of times I could've done with a lower Eb or D. It's funny how so many of my ideas went in that direction ~ far more than since I actually got a 5-string.
Recently, just to see if it could be done, I detuned the B down to A and for the particular song I was recording, I varispeeded it up 2 steps so my lowest note was actually a low G ! I think the fish at the bottom of the ocean could hear some of those notes ! It's not something I'll do on a regular basis though I was surprised I could differentiate the notes.

4 piece horn section ...... I glanced at the proposed set list for Biketoberfest ..... I saw some B S & T ..... some Steely Dan ( FM and Pretzel Logic I think) .... several Chicagos .... ummmm ...oh here we go, on my phone:

Pick Up the Pieces
House of Blue Lights
Saturday in the Park
Make Me Smile
Josie
FM
Pretzel Logic
Back to Daytona ( a Floyd Miles song .... Reuben and I played with him some the few years before he died )
Mountain To Climb
Higher and Higher
Rosalita
Let It Roll ... Little Feat
You Made Me so Very happy
Dat's Right ( off Reubens recent CD )
and freakin' FRANKENSTEIN!!!!

As for rehearsing and everyone knowing their parts ....... lol, we'll see.
Reuben says one rehearsal ..... but I'm thinking we should have a rhythm section rehearsal too.
But I'm just the bass player and have no opinions .... Silent Steve I am.

Bob Dionne runs the horns and that's sorta what he does locally ...... he'll have charts for the hornies and his charts are usually close to right ..... they almost always have to stop and confer and rewrite parts but they're mostly reading charts.

As for the drumber and the keys guy ( don't know either of 'em ) ... I have no idea.
Reuben said he expects everyone to learn their parts and if they don't then why did he go to the trouble of getting the songs on MP3 for everyone.
Well you know as well as I do the reason he said that is because dammit! ... there'll will be those that don't .....

I'll know my parts and the bass player knowing where he's going helps everyone else that may be a little tentative so hopefully it'll sound good first time out.
I'll practice every one of these songs a couple times every single night starting as soon as he gets the MP3s to me and I'll listen to them over and over and over every night driving to and from my gigs. I'll flat out be able to walk in and play it first time .... that's kinda my thing .... I do the work and then the gig goes easy.

Reuben said one reason he was glad I'd do it is that way he has at least one person he won't have to worry about.
But it's all pros so for the most part it should be free of trainwrecks

Sounds like a lot of fun, and it sounds like any song one might suggest for the setlist is doable, I mean, without having to possibly attempt replication of a horn part and such on guitar or keys. A 12 pc, , shit, in the adult world it would be a major feat to get everyone in one place for rehearsals with any consistency, not to mention the space required. It can be hard enough getting 4-5 together. If everyone is disciplined enough to show up at the gig prepared, and perhaps have someone taking on the role and responsibility of musical director to pull it out of the ditch if or when things get a little or a lot sideways. That being said, even with everyone coming prepared at least some rehearsal can be beneficial in establishing an ending where the song being covered fades on the recording. Or maybe even the lead-in on some songs. Although what happens in between is ultimately what is of most importance, those little pesky details can make or break the overall impression of a tight performance.

Sometimes I get the jones to possibly get a gig, then I remember why it can be such a pain in the ass. Personalities, varying levels of dedication, individuals who are not team players and are in it more for personal glory than serving the overall goal of serving the song<- noise makers with limited relevance to the song being covered. You're in a cover band, cover the damn song, within the overall setlist there will inevitably be opportunity for improvisation and embellishment. If you're job on any particular song is intermittent cowbell, play the fucking cowbell, or don't, as required. It's not about you.

Speaking of...I'm not and never have been a percussionist of any sort. But I've entertained the fantasy (or delusion) that being a percussionist has to be perhaps the coolest gig ever. Not drumber, percussionist, with assorted shit to bang on, tinkle, smash, supporting the groove. And a whistle, a whistle for inevitably that one song where it might be required. Limited responsibility in a supporting role, but making shit happen. I've actually seen, we all have, acoustic type gigs with a percussionist rather than an actual drummer for lower key establishments. Cool gig, percussionist. I haz a dream.

Speaking of...I'm not and never have been a percussionist of any sort. But I've entertained the fantasy (or delusion) that being a percussionist has to be perhaps the coolest gig ever. Not drumber, percussionist, with assorted shit to bang on, tinkle, smash, supporting the groove. And a whistle, a whistle for inevitably that one song where it might be required. Limited responsibility in a supporting role, but making shit happen. I've actually seen, we all have, acoustic type gigs with a percussionist rather than an actual drummer for lower key establishments. Cool gig, percussionist. I haz a dream.
maybe 20 years ago wifey and I went to an Elton John concert and he was solo for the first half EXCEPT he had some famous percussionist with him ( can't remember the name ) ..... looked old to me then ... bald and skinny.
I didn't know who he was .... I was told later but forgot shortly after ..... lol

Anyways he had an array of percussion instruments running for 50 feet or more across the back of the stage .... everything ... tympanis .... bells ... congas ..... and a LOT more .... basically any percussion thing you ever heard of.

And he was freakin' AMAZING!!!

First song he raised the tambourine high above his head and though you couldn't see any movement the thing vibrated like a rattlesnake ,,,,, super loud and fast and he'd reach up and hit the head on it with his thumb *POP*!! .... just him and that tambourine was one of the most astounding musical performances I've ever seen.
And he was just as good with everything else .... TBH the rest of the show, including when the band came in later, he was the only thing I watched ...... couldn't take my eyes off him ..... just radiated charisma and his playing was other worldly.

So percussion huh?
Get bald and skinny and grab a tambourine

maybe 20 years ago wifey and I went to an Elton John concert and he was solo for the first half EXCEPT he had some famous percussionist with him ( can't remember the name ) ..... looked old to me then ... bald and skinny.
I didn't know who he was .... I was told later but forgot shortly after ..... lol

Anyways he had an array of percussion instruments running for 50 feet or more across the back of the stage .... everything ... tympanis .... bells ... congas ..... and a LOT more .... basically any percussion thing you ever heard of.

And he was freakin' AMAZING!!!

First song he raised the tambourine high above his head and though you couldn't see any movement the thing vibrated like a rattlesnake ,,,,, super loud and fast and he'd reach up and hit the head on it with his thumb *POP*!! .... just him and that tambourine was one of the most astounding musical performances I've ever seen.
And he was just as good with everything else .... TBH the rest of the show, including when the band came in later, he was the only thing I watched ...... couldn't take my eyes off him ..... just radiated charisma and his playing was other worldly.

So percussion huh?
Get bald and skinny and grab a tambourine

Yeah, that was most likely Ray Cooper. He's been percussionist for Elton John since forever. Unusual cat, boss percussionist.

Yeah, that was most likely Ray Cooper. He's been percussionist for Elton John since forever. Unusual cat, boss percussionist.
I looked him up and yeah, that's him.
He was bad ass and just amazing to watch.
Thats pretty much the level of play I expect to see for the 12 piece ..... last time I played with them about 5 years ago the trumpet player was with T of P.
So good players.

I'm expecting the weak link in all this will be moi .... ... we'll see if I'm up to the challenge.

One problem I run into is any of the guys here that do know me think of me as a sax player and so even if I play the parts perfectly they have a hard time thinking of me as anything but a sax player playing at bass.
Fact is in BR about 25 years of my career was spent playing bass only and I have played bass for 55 years so I am a bass player but here in Fl they haven't seen me playing bass that much.
So that's why I feel I have to be perfect .... and even then they'll go, "He does ok for a sax player"......:facepalm:

LT, serious question. In the course of your musical career, did you ever have the opportunity to play at any of the great venues in New Orleans?

LT, serious question. In the course of your musical career, did you ever have the opportunity to play at any of the great venues in New Orleans?
well I'm from there ..... Baton Rouge specifically but that was an easy commute to N. O. and sometimes I'd do a gig in BR and then head to NO for a second gig ..... some of the places like the Maple Leaf didn't start till 2 or 3 am.

I have played Tips a few times ( Tipitina's ) played all the French Quarter places like Storyville Jazz Hall and Preservation Jazz Hall.

One Mardi Gras a band I was in was the house band for Storyville Jazz Hall and we had our Winnebago parked right at the stage door.
I'm a big sit-in guy and sit in with bands all the time ... my favorite thing to do ....... and they had bands from about 2 in the afternoon till around 4 or 5 am ...... and I played with all of them ... lol ..... I think we figured out that in 3 days I was on stage 34 1/2 hours .... that was in the days when cocaine swept the neighborhood! LOL

Did a radio show performance from Cosmo's Jazz Factory ..... a famous recording studio ... lol, it was in a warehouse with a very sketchy freight elevator .... Cosmo was still living and manned the board for it.

Played the Jazzfest most years on multiple days with multiple bands wanting to sound just a bit better for Jazzfest .... that was cool. They treated the musicians like gold with vans carrying you and your gear right to your stage and picking you up from there when you called for them.

Ummm played on the Wonderwall for the 1984 Worlds' Fair 5 days a week for 3 months.

I've never not gigged full time and went years at a time doing 7 a week .... maybe a weeks vacation every 2 or 3 years.
Even now I just got thru doing 5-5 hours a week from March 1st till a couple weeks ago when it dropped off to just 3 ....... I've never had a New Years eve off since around 1970 .... almost never have Christmas off ..... pay me money and I'll dance for you, I'm your puppet. :LOL:

My daughter actually sings 5 nights a week on Bourbon St.

Last edited:

Hey man, what happened to the guys I saw you play with at the marina? I think they called themselves te Rhythm Sharks. You were playing guitar.
I know everybody's reformed into different bands a few hundred times since then.

Hey man, what happened to the guys I saw you play with at the marina? I think they called themselves te Rhythm Sharks. You were playing guitar.
I know everybody's reformed into different bands a few hundred times since then.
oh lord ...... I have no idea. I think it was a pickup band but if not then I, at least, was a hired gun ..... I did a few gigs there but remember it as always being hire of the night..

I kinda vaguely remember the one you're talking about and that was a buncha years ago

Back