What equipment so to say "master's your vocals"

Phact

At the moment I use Personal Cool Edit Filters to master my voice down. Although I think it's time to elaborate the thought a little bit more. I'm having doubts about my Cd release comming soon as far as sound goes. So I'm wondering equipment wise what to you use to Master your vocals. I'm talking EVERYTHING for mastering your vocals. I want to know.

I hope someone can dig a little further for me. Thanks a bunch.
Phact
www.rhymology.com

Mastering is done to the whole album, not single tracks.I can't recommend any plug ins, since I've never used any.As for external units, you might want to check out Alesis Masterlink or TC Electric Finalizer.If it's a cd you're going to sell, going to a mastering service would probably be the best bet.Check out this site for mastering articles.

http://theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

I don't know what you mean by 'master' your vocals. Is there any other instruments on the album? Are you still in the mixing stage (ie, levels, panning, effects)? Are you not happy with how the vocals sound or is there something in particular you are hearing that you would like to change?

By the way, 'mastering' typically refers to taking all songs on an album and making them fit together, (ie fade-in/outs, maximizing overall levels, track ordering, applying proper coding just to name a few) basically getting a cd ready for commercial distribution. It sounds like you are trying to get your vocals to somehow fit better in your mix.

I would like to give you input if you could give a little more info.

starch said:
I don't know what you mean by 'master' your vocals. Is there any other instruments on the album? Are you still in the mixing stage (ie, levels, panning, effects)? Are you not happy with how the vocals sound or is there something in particular you are hearing that you would like to change?

By the way, 'mastering' typically refers to taking all songs on an album and making them fit together, (ie fade-in/outs, maximizing overall levels, track ordering, applying proper coding just to name a few) basically getting a cd ready for commercial distribution. It sounds like you are trying to get your vocals to somehow fit better in your mix.

I would like to give you input if you could give a little more info.

There are several different instruments. And yes Im still in the early mixing stage. levels, panning, effects Is exactly what im talking about. and correct i am not pleased with the outcome at all. I can't narrow the problem. And im thinking its something in one of those three things(ie, levels, panning, effects). So when i said "mastering vocals" i was intending for example "Compression, EQ, and de-essing." I know absolutly nothing about those things and even What they really do.

Commercial distribution is a little much talk for me right now. Local is more like it. I intend only to sell around 300-400 copys in my hometown and where my sybling lives in CA. But i have my partners K-Skeez and Cence(brother) who are both dropping albums produced arranged and hopfully mastered by me. Meaning i would really like to know what im doing. Heh.

Phact

Last edited:
Always listen to enough other stuff too... You'll get into a stage when you think 'that should be good enough' and might feel embarassed about the product lateron (happened with my first stuff...)

aXel

Phact said:
Commercial distribution is a little much talk for me right now. Local is more like it. I intend only to sell around 300-400 copys in my hometown and where my sybling lives in CA. But i have my partners K-Skeez and Cence(brother) who are both dropping albums produced arranged and hopfully mastered by me. Meaning i would really like to know what im doing. Heh.

I know this isn't what you're going to want to hear, but a lot of us on this board have been doing this stuff for years.

I started out assisting at live shows / sound reinforcement and producing radio spots about 16 years ago, and it hasn't been untill the last few years that I wouild consider myself proficient at this -- or at least proficient enough to charge for it.

Granted, the past few years I have basically lived -- breathed ate and slept audio. And when I wasn't doing that, I've been on this board (and others like it) talking about it and trying to learn more. :D What I'm getting at is that this isn't the type of thing that you can just learn about in one post on a message board. If you're serious and want to produce albums for people, then I'd say try and land yourself an unpaid internship at a real studio, start reading books, and absorb as much info. as you can. And most importantly practice. And practice some more.

volltreffer said:
Always listen to enough other stuff too... You'll get into a stage when you think 'that should be good enough' and might feel embarassed about the product lateron (happened with my first stuff...)

aXel

LOL

Happened with me too. And I had my project professionally mastered by a big company for a wopping $1,500 bucks.

My mix was just shitty !! The ME should have told me that since I was a dumb @ss , supposed to know it all, new jack. Before I spent our money. He even sent us a reference CD and just because It sounded better than my original shitty mixes I thought we were good to go. Thats until it started playing on the Radio.

The whole Tracking to Mastering aspect of the whole album sucked. The content was ok though. It just sounded like shit !!

Man, get those mixes the best you can and let someone with some experience and a different set of ears to master it.

Trust me.

Malcolm

Right, so we're not talking mastering here, we're talking mixing vocals, and maybe back to recording vocals. The first step is to try and define what it is you don't like about the vocal. Is it just that it doesn't sit in the mix right, or is it the track all by itself that's bad. If you cringe when you solo it, then go back to your performance and tracking. Did you sing it the way you wanted? Did you use a mic and pre combo that was appropriate for your voice? Did you use a pop filter to tame the plosives? Did you record it at a good level, neither too hot nor too cold?
If you think the take was good, then it's time to make it sit better in the mix. Usually I start by evening out the dynamics with a bit of compression. Use what you need to make it stop ducking under and peaking over the rest of the mix. Next work on the EQ, finding where it cuts through the mix without being harsh. Warm and present is the goal for most songs, but paint your own color. If you have to twist the knobs (real or virtual) too far, go back to the tracking questions. When it sounds good dry, then sweeten with a little reverb. You can also try a dub vocal, mixing it well below the main vocal.
Hope that points you in the right direction, RD

Back