What else do i need to improve what I already have? Soundcard or Pre-amp?

Raph_LYC

Hello people its me again....

Here are the equipment i have
AT 2020 ( going to sell this, Because i got a AT2035)
AT 2035
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface ( going to sell this too, because i got the qx1002)
Behringer QX1002 USB mixer

The reason I got the qx1002 its because i want to be able tochange me eq and stuff and have multiple inputs for like my phone etc...( So i want to know if compare the both which one will bring out the better sound with the same microphone, from myself i feel like i get louder voice with the QX1002 than the Scarlett 2i2)

Now my question is that when i watch other people's review of the AT2035 their mic sound much better than my AT2035, (excluding the room set up since its similar to mine), I am currently using the usb out on the qx1002, is it because the pre-amp is not good enough or dac or whatever? if i use RCA cable to line in on my pc, i get static noise( so i want to know if i get a sound card will it improve the audio recording quality compare to USB)? and what sound card should i get? a USB one or like a pci-e/pci one?

Or what else do i need to improve it?

thanks guys!

I wouldn't sell the Scarlett 2i2. It's likely a better interface than the QX1002 mixer and is probably as good as any affordable soundcard you could buy. The line input on your PC isn't worth bothering with.
- Have you tried the output of the mixer into the 2i2? Just watch how you set the gains of each piece (Google "gain staging").
- Is there a reason why you don't do use the EQing or other "stuff" that your DAW software likely has?
- Use the mixer only when you want to include extra audio such as your phone. Otherwise just the 2i2 with the mic.
- What are you doing? Singing, talking at what distance from the mic?
- Does the phone have music you're using for backing tracks? Can you record these first and then play them back on the PC as backing tracks.
- What are you trying accomplish. Recording to create mp3's or CD's? Podcasting or similar?

Hey Arcaxis,
-the 2i2 only has XLR in put im not sure if i can output the qx1002 mixer to the 2i2
-This recording set up is for recording voice over when I produce my hardware reviews videos
-And when i do gameplay or livestream
-I dont always use my phone to play music but just incase i can add in music when im livestreaming
-kind of podcasting sometime
-I thought the qx1002 well have a better pre amp and etc and i thought it will be better to have those eq and the compressor you get with the qx1002...

If the 2i2 is good actually better than the qx1002 i might try returning the qx1002 i got that like 6 days ago... but i need an excuse to get a refund since the product is not broken or anything ( one thing that is wrong with the mixer is that the bottom is not level like its moves up and down when you push the against the corner of the mixer)

Thanks for you reply

Hey Ralph,
Just to echo and maybe add a bit.....

If you're doing live podcasting and that sort of thing then a mixer might be useful.
If you honestly think you'll get use out having having faders and being able to bring in music (from external sources) etc, then go with it.
Overall it probably is of lower build and sound quality than the 2i2, but it might be more suitable.

However....I'd suggest thinking through your needs and routing before you make any decisions.
Personally I'd much rather podcast from a DAW because you have the same faders/mute/solo etc as a mixer, but you also have endless effects to hand.
Wouldn't it be nice to have eq and compression set up for your voice, plus the ability to have the music auto-duck while you talk?
Of course, you'd have to import your music into the DAW if you go down this route.

If you like the sound of that, look into soundflower. It's a virtual routing application which can be very useful for this kind of thing.
If you prefer the hands-on approach then go for it, but be aware of the limitations first. :)

"-the 2i2 only has XLR in put im not sure if i can output the qx1002 mixer to the 2i2"

- Use the "Main Out" jacks on the mixer to the combo XLR/ 1/4" TRS jacks on the 2i2. The QX1002 Main Outs are "balanced as are the inputs on the 2i2, so two 1/4" TRS cables like this will work.... one each for left and right into inputs 1 and 2 of the 2i2.

View attachment 88047

The Xenyx preamps in the Behringer mixers I found to be pretty good, some people don't care for them. I don't have a Behringer USB mixer, so I don't know how the USB converters are compared to the Focusrite, but from other opinions on this board, the 2i2 is probably a much better interface than a Behringer mixer. Perhaps if you want to stick with using a mixer, which for what you're doing might be better, maybe exchanging it for one without USB would be something to consider and may save a bit of money. I don't use a mixer much, but have one handy can be helpful for some things. For what you're doing the EQ and effects in your mixer are likely OK.
If you aren't getting the sound you expect from the AT2035, it might be something to do with how you are using it or the room that it's being used in

May i ask whats the point of outputting the mixer to the 2i2? is it better?
I know the qx1002 is a usb version, but you can still use rca cables to out put so whats the different between swapping a non usb one?
and yea i might just test both the mixer and 2i2 tmr and see which one is suite me better and if the 2i2 is good enough i will try returning the qx1002.

thanks again!!

May i ask whats the point of outputting the mixer to the 2i2? is it better?
I know the qx1002 is a usb version, but you can still use rca cables to out put so whats the different between swapping a non usb one?
and yea i might just test both the mixer and 2i2 tmr and see which one is suite me better and if the 2i2 is good enough i will try returning the qx1002.

thanks again!!

I wouldn't bother sending the mixer to the 2i2.
Either find a solution using the 2i2 or use the USB mixer. That's what I'd do.

They're both audio interfaces. Just one has more knobs and that! ;)

I would forget the mixer as a USB device and converter.

All such mixers are 16bit only and although that should not really impinge upon the audio performance it does because the rest of the analogue circuitry is built down to the 16bit noise performance or worse. (I have a Berry UCA 202 which manages about a -83dB noise floor. By rights it should be better than 90dB. But the box is £20 and more than good enough for say tape duping) .

So, if the mixer is useful, use it as described into the 2i2's line inputs. NB you will probably STILL run the system at 16bits (48k?) for podding but it will be a BETTER 16 bits and moreover Win7 will "see" a proper audio interface not a usb microphone "kludge"!
I would expect the 2i2 to have a 16bit noise floor >-90dB and a 24 bit floor of >100dB.

A very valid alternative that my son used for music for several years is the mentioned PCI/PCIe card. You might find a cheap M-Audio 2496 which will be fine. Better a Juli@ PCIe card since it gives a bit of future proofing.

PCI cards (well the 2496 certainly!) give you signal routing capabilities you just don't get with external interfaces.

Dave.

Dave.... I had the 2496 in my previous computers life. The only thing I wasn't too keen on was the I/O of getting audio in and out and monitoring what I was recording. The control panel for its routing was a bit confusing at times. Most times I used a small Behringer utility mixer connected to RCA's of the 2496. It was a good card the yielded decent sound, just not as handy to use as the Tascam US144mkii I have now. Do you have any recollection of what your son's setup was for audio I/O?

Not only do I remember it Mark but the set up is still here! Only difference is the Berry has given way to a ZED 10.

What, specifically was your problem? ...Oh! BTW I agree the routing panels are confusing. I just bugger about until I get what I want going where I want it to be!

Dave.

I'm with Mark, keep the mixer unless you are really strapped for the cash. They run about £60 here so you could not even get a Shure 57 for that e.g.

I have also noticed that the AT mic is of pretty high sensitivity, ~-35dB and if/when you use it on very loud sources, a guitar cab say, it might clip the 2i2's pre amps. The Behringer's pres have a gain control in addition to a channel pot and so have a wider gain range.

If you did not have the mixer we would all I am sure be saying you don't really need one but there is really very little the home recordist can buy under $100 that is a useful as a small mixer.

Dave.

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply...
i havent return my qx1002usb and i dont know why i cant get my audio similar to the other at 2035 reviews on the youtube like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYR_OnGUfz4 ( i think they are using the at2035)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2LJhI3Tg0w&list=UUhODNZGltQEpQZyXCL-gwUg
and this is they quality i am looking for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2x3l5TKbLE

i just want to know if its the pre-amp problem like no powerful enough or what?

thanks again

I looked quickly back through this thread (might have missed it) and you don't state what you don't like about the sound from your mic/mixer/interface and you aren't specific as to what is wrong with the sound. Give us a better clue as to what it is you don't like or post a sample of audio of the problem you are having.

"My car is broken. What parts do I need to fix it"

Agreed.

The big question is, when you say you want to "improve what you have" are you talking about functionality or sound quality.

In terms of sound quality, the Xenyx mixer will be no better than the Scarlett and may even be a backwards step. The EQ and effects are more "toys" than anything to improve your sound quality.

However, if you want the functionality for live or semi-live podcasting and aren't too worried about the audio (since live stuff ends up heavily compressed on line anyhow) then MAYBE the mixer will be okay for you. However, do check out that it can route signals the way you need. Many Behringer mixers have big routing limitations.

Back