What elements define Hip-hop music?

dcwave

So I'm I am trying to broaden my knowledge of urban/dance/underground type genres of music. What elements in a body of music make it hip-hop, verses rap, verses, house or r&b? Is it the tempo? The drums, the type of drums? Additional instruments?

Thanks.

There are a lot of things that come together. Something that is very distinctive though is a soulful feel - originally acquired through sampling but can also be achieved through literally making soul music (as The Soulquarian's and The Roots). But that is clearly an important element. Also, the drums need to stand out - not necessarily "in your face", they can be subtle, like the later stuff by J. Dilla (RIP).

Each good producer has their own signature style; for example, DJ Premier heavily chops soulful piano and string samples and puts them together with hard-hitting drums. Jay Dee kept mastering styles so he'd keep changing, at the time of his death, there was a inexplicable bounce in his music with the emotional rush that one gets with a touching soul song. Dr. Dre goes for a very cinematic and intense impact.

It's all down to the individual though.

Watching the greats in action will really help a person understand hip hop instrumentalism. Check this out, for an example.

Hope this helps,

Jibran

Back