what ear do you listen through more when you mixing/mastering?

• Total voters

jmarques

The Original BeatMinstrel

Left Ear
Right Ear
Both
Neither
To the space between you ears

I don't know if anyone else experience this, but I find I tend to listen with my left ear more when I trying to figure what kinda of things I want to do with mix. Basically I use my left ear to tune my mix and my right ear to keep everything level loudness and balance wise.

So I put my answer as left since I use it more than my right. Is there something wrong with me or does anyone else goes through the same kinda of thing or is just my special problem that no one else experiences. :D

Yea, its a common thing.
People subconsciously (sp?) prefer one ear and eye. Most people are dominant in accordance to them being left or right handed. Personally, I am dominant with my right ear, eye, and hand.

Good question.

I've read somewhere that psychoacoutically when we are thinking logically we use the left side of our brain and I believe as a result we favor the right ear, or something to that effect.

Personally I feel that I'm a "both" guy. Anything else would through off the image.

I voted both for one simple reason: my ears are constantly changing as far as which one is clearer or more sensitive than the other. No two days are quite the same.

G.

My left ear probably hears things more accurately, but my right ear definitely hears things at a higher level. Interesting question though.

masteringhouse said:
Good question.

I've read somewhere that psychoacoutically when we are thinking logically we use the left side of our brain and I believe as a result we favor the right ear, or something to that effect.

Personally I feel that I'm a "both" guy. Anything else would through off the image.

Along similar lines, I've heard that when we're thinking intensely about something, our eyes tend to wander up and to the right.

That has to be a good basis for some piss taking remarks!

Left. I am right handed, but hear more acutely with my left ear. My left ear seems to THINK better or something. Likewise, my left eye sees farther. I don't know what the heck THAT all means.

Haha! I read it at first and was like "This is retarded." But then I realized I find myself leaning in with my left ear sometimes to try to hear something minute. Likewise, I prefer my left eye...but I'm right handed. Weird.

It depends on what speaker its coming out of really. OUt of the left, I use my left, out of the right...
But saying that when putting my ear up to guitar and bass cabs I do tend to use my right ear, but I also ise my left ear after to hear the difference.

Eck

Cult_Status02 said:
Haha! I read it at first and was like "This is retarded." But then I realized I find myself leaning in with my left ear sometimes to try to hear something minute. Likewise, I prefer my left eye...but I'm right handed. Weird.

HA!! See? ANOTHER genius.

gtrman_66 said:
My left because, quite honestly, I hear better out of it than my right.
It's the opposite for me. I have a slight dip around the 8kHz range in my left ear.

ez_willis said:
I voted for Neither.

If you heard my mixes you'd know why.
I said neither for the same reason!

I have a 30dB loss in the lower range of my left ear as it is from being a gun captain when I was in the navy... :(

Back