What dynamic should I get for vocals (using it alongside an LDC)

guitarguy101

I saw a technique on a TV show where an engineer used an LDC and a dynamic in order to get the best possible tone from vocals. I am using a Sterling LDC. What dynamic should I get ($200 or less) for this purpose? To clarify, I would be running both at the same time, recording the same vocalist, placing the mics one on top of the other, covered by the same pop filter.

I think it could be a bit of a jump to assume that the mics alone gave that engineer what he wanted. There could have been numerous other factors involved. Seperate EQ settings, one mic comp'd the other not, one mic with FX, the other dry, etc.......................... Were both mics plugged into a single channel or seperate? I would also believe the engineer did a lot of trial and error to match the selection of mics to the voice, so in regards to what would be a good pairing for your Sterling???????? I would get the best dynamic I can afford and start experimenting.

If I'm using two mics for vocals I'll always use my MXL 990 (which I'm finding out more and more people are really disliking) as my main mic and I'll use the Audix i5 in conjunction with that. The i5 runs about $99 and is great for pretty much everything else you would need to record.

I often use the same technique for vox, but set the LDC slightly behind & above the other mic. If the singer has a preferred mic I will use that if not the "safe" choice for a dynamic is an SM58 although lately I have been really happy with an EV PL84 hand held condenser.

Back