What drums to buy for recording?

stillnoname

I have finally decided to upgrade my super cheap Westbury drums. I've been having a really hard time getting the sound I want out of the toms/bass drum for recording. I'll probably save up for about a year until I actually get anything new, so I'm just doing a lot of research now and would like a little feedback. Here's the criteria:

- Not worried about price (although the cheaper it is the more toms I can get :)
- I have decided on Birch shells since that seems to be the 'standard' for recording and I will only be using this set for recording
- Only need toms and bass drum. Preferably 4 or more toms.

These will mostly be used for hard-ish rock drumming with the occasional acoustic song. Here are some examples of what I have done so far:
- Hard rock: http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=15193
- More Acoustic: http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=17127

So far I have been looking at:
- Pearl Masters Series Birch
- Tama Starclassic Performer B/B
- Yamaha Recording Custom (or Absolute Birch? are they similar??)

Does anyone have experience with 1 or more of these? What are your thoughts on them? Are there any other good Birch sets?

Unfortunately I live in a smaller city and don't have the luxury of trying all these out, but I am hoping to go to some bigger music stores sometime in the next year to try some out. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Last edited:
I disagree with birch being the 'standard' for recording. It almost always comes down to personal preference, and the sound you are trying to achieve. Not to mention a good drumset is only the beginning to good sounding drum tracks.
Out of the three kits you mentioned, I'm a big fan of the pearl masters but I would invest in traveling to hear as many drums as you can before you decide.
Also, if you're set on birch, try some gretsch kits as well.

- Brandon

I disagree with birch being the 'standard' for recording. It almost always comes down to personal preference, and the sound you are trying to achieve.

Agreed. Any nice shell can sound good. IMO, good heads, tuning, and playing are way more important than the shell material (assuming it's at least something decent).

I've played all three sets you mention. They are all excellent kits and will sound equally good if treated well. I personally own a Starclassic right now, but that's because I liked the look of the finish, the lugs, and the mounting system better than the others you mention (the tama dark cherry fade is soooooo sexy).

Honestly, I don't find that any one of those kits really sounds "better" than the others or is better suited for the genre. They are all excellent kits. Personally I think once you get to about this level of drums (~$1500 and over for a shell pack) it's about the look and feel of the kit as well as features you may like. The sound comes from the player and good tuning :D

Go drive and play the kits. See which one you fall in love with. Buy that one! Happy shopping :P

I have a few differnt sets and I always seem to come back to birch for recording. Just a personal preference. Just a suggestion, maybe go with a midline kit like a Mapex M Birch. I just picked up a set for draging out to the bars I play. 10,12,13,16,22 and snare, no hardware for $499 on ebay. With good heads they sound very good. If you are not totaly happy with the sound you can always use a program like drumagog and mix in some sampled drums with the acoustic set on your recordings. Lot's of good options out there. Good luck.

Starclassics and Masters kits can be pricey. You aren't going to be building up and tearing down so touring quality hardware that comes with the top line kits isn't necessary. You want the shells to be 100% birch, I think the Yamaha kit will give you that in a nice kit. Avoid rattly, squeaky, buzzy hardware that could become a problem though. :)

I just picked up the starclassic birch/bubinga winter of last year, and it is an absolutely amazing set, especially in the studio. Its not a cheap set but worth it. Check ebay, the guitar center by me had one used for 1700, got it on ebay as the only bidder somehow for 900. Its the 10,12,16,22 shell pack, If you can settle for three toms you should be able to find a shell pack for a reasonable price, but ordering more toms is going to get very expensive. I used to play a pearl export with 6 toms and decided to go quality over quantitiy and am very happy with that decision. The extra low end balls and punch added to the birch with the bubinga and thinner shells is awesome, perfect mix. I was going to get a pearl master birch, was very impressed with them, but the b/b blew me away. The recording engineer at the studio also loved the kit. The band will be done tracking and mixing in a few weeks and I can post some stuff soon if you want to hear it.

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone. It's always nice to hear from people who have actual experience with these sets. I will definitely try to test some sets out before I buy.

slt82: That would be cool to hear your stuff once it's done to get an idea of what the end product can sound like.

Another option I am pondering is getting a more mid-range set with more toms (I would reeeally like to have 6 or so toms). Something like Tama superstar. These I can at least try out at the local music store and even rent if I want to properly tune them etc. to get a good test. But again it's the quantity vs. quality. The superstars are all birch though with an inner ply of basswood and have some great reviews... but I'll see. Too many choices... The journey continues.

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone. It's always nice to hear from people who have actual experience with these sets. I will definitely try to test some sets out before I buy.

slt82: That would be cool to hear your stuff once it's done to get an idea of what the end product can sound like.

Another option I am pondering is getting a more mid-range set with more toms (I would reeeally like to have 6 or so toms). Something like Tama superstar. These I can at least try out at the local music store and even rent if I want to properly tune them etc. to get a good test. But again it's the quantity vs. quality. The superstars are all birch though with an inner ply of basswood and have some great reviews... but I'll see. Too many choices... The journey continues.

yep, auditioning is the only way to find out what you want.

on a separate note, if you're looking for a bigger set and want pro quality, it's well worth saving up for. it took me 2 years of research and stashing money to get my dream set (a starclassic performer which has 6 toms as it happens), and my buyer's remorse is ZERO. if you're serious about drums, then don't compromise quantity OR quality. do what it takes to get what you want. it's utterly rewarding.

good luck!!! :)

Back