What Drum recording techniques do you use?

superprohero

Like many, I'm looking for that elusive big LIVE sound. I was curious how to get it on CD/Hard drive/whatever. I fully understand that a good sounding kit and good mics are a prerequisite. But what about overhead mic quantity and placement?
Record drum tracks completely dry? Also What type of compression, effects, etc to add to get that big sound?
We are going to digital recording. With my old Mapex kit I have 2 kicks I'll be using AKG D 112's on. 3 ride toms, 2 floor toms and a snare I'll probably be using SM57's on and then the hat mics and the overheads.
Any professional advice would be appreciated.

superprohero said:
Like many, I'm looking for that elusive big LIVE sound. I was curious how to get it on CD/Hard drive/whatever. I fully understand that a good sounding kit and good mics are a prerequisite. But what about overhead mic quantity and placement?
Record drum tracks completely dry? Also What type of compression, effects, etc to add to get that big sound?
We are going to digital recording. With my old Mapex kit I have 2 kicks I'll be using AKG D 112's on. 3 ride toms, 2 floor toms and a snare I'll probably be using SM57's on and then the hat mics and the overheads.
Any professional advice would be appreciated.

i would say that room mics can give a good large live sound. but you need a good sounding room for it. i use a pair of crown pzm mics that sound great.

if your not in a position to do room mics try getting the oh mics happening. try thr recorder man method for oh placement.

i eq the kick going to tape and sometimes i do a bit of comp on the kick and snare going in.

"try thr recorder man method for oh placement."
I read that post but two stick lengths away from the snare seems awfully close to your(my) main swinging area. I play hard with most snare hits as a rimshot. I'll try it though. Still undecided on overhead mics.
As far as room mics go, about how far away from the kit and which direction to point them? How big of a room and what distance for room mics have you had luck with?
Thanks for the advice I appreciate all I can get at this point. Amazing to think that out of the 25 years I've been playing I have little recording experience and tons of live experience.

Say man...welcome aboard.

I can give ya the scoop on my situation and maybe you can get something out of it.

My all in one room is roughly 20 X 14 with a 10 ft vaulted ceiling...acoustically treated with bass traps etc and my kit toward the middle of it.

Been using Recorderman's technique for about 2 yrs...the key to the 2 OH's (imho) is having them equidistant from the kick...I found that using some good iso cans helps me to postion the kick n snare to where they're coming equally thru left and right tracks. I use a Beta 52, a 57 on sn and Shure KSM 109's as OH's. Workin out pretty good so far.

Can't help on the room mic distance cuz I don't have any decent mics for it... :D

Maybe not entirely what you were lookin for but I was in your situation too...long time playing and no time recording...so I read everything I could.

Hope it helps...

Peace

Dogbreath, Thanks.
I'd say your post has some valuable info. Do you by chance have any MP3's or something online where I can hear your work?

Back