What drum module to get? with my triggers?

14yearoldkid

Hey, Im planning on getting the 199.99 Ddrum triggers but I dont wanna spend that much on a sound module since i would be using BFD plug in for the actual drum sounds...

is the Alesis DM5 the cheapest module or what?...

Any other modules out there that would basically give me midi outputs so what I play goes into pro tools?

I have an old D4 that still is pretty good. I see them for $80. That, a $30 pack of triggers and a $100 Craigslist drumset will get you there.

The later Alesis versions had improvements if you've got the extra cash, but I don't know of anything other product that comes close for the bucks. Plus they're real easy to program.

All the cymbals kinda suck and you'll find that there's one kick and one snare that you'll use almost all the time, but all the modules are that way to my ears.

I have a Tama rockstar custom so I have a kit...

I have DDrum triggers 199.99 for 5

I just need a module... The DM4 has 1/4'' inputs that i can use to connect at least 5 triggers? Cymbals will be record live with actually room mics..

I got a pack of triggers off of eBay 2 or 3 years ago, enough for a whole set, new, for around $30. All they are are $1 piezo's. Even at $30 it's a rip but convenient. I have a set of Tama Star trigger pads and I took them apart and it's the same $1 piezo that's in a cheap smoke alarm.
Do you really need to pay $200 for 5 triggers? It sounds crazy for $5 worth of piezos and bit of bent metal. I bought one of those trigger protectors for something like $10 and then made my own from an old aluminum gutter.

I really didn't have problems with the cheapos I bought. There was no false triggering. Maybe I was lucky!

Here's how I did my kick, I mounted a pair of triggers on an old Ludwig bass drum muffler.
TRIGGER.jpg

The reason I used two was (like newscasters with two lapel mics) in case one broke at the gig.
I also put two on my snare. I had one that triggered a snare, and the other one triggered hand claps but only when you hit the snare really hard and near that trigger, so for choruses I had the hand claps on 2 and 4 which worked real nice on certain dance songs - real fat.

Last edited:
Back