What does it mean to "buy" a song from you?

amyelizabeth

Can someone actually "buy" your songs or is it illegit?

So that's the question. One minute I get a response as is "Don't trust anyone that syas they want to 'buy' your songs from you....and then the next someone says "One day someone will want to 'buy' your songs and you will have to let your 'babies' go." Which one is right? is it just semantics?

It would be foolish to sell your creative work outright. Making a publishing deal usually works like this:
Publisher signs the composer(s) to a contract wherein he/she/they will receive 50% of any and all revenues from the licensed use of the work or works involved. The publisher receives the remaining 50%. It's an equitable deal, assuming that the publisher actually puts in the effort to get the music placed & is successful. Under most publishing agreements, the publisher is assigned the copyright(s) to the original work.

Thank you Rick! I really appreciate that! I plan on going the traditional route and trying to get in with a publishing house instead of going independant,...so this kind of information is very helpful. One day, I will figure all this stuff out; but thanks for the help in the meantime. :)

John Fogarty?

The abbreviated story with John Fogerty is he sold the rights to all his songs to Fantasy Records as part of his contract with them. When the contract finally expired, Fogerty wanted his songs back and Fantasy wouldn't give them to him. They were the record company's property. Fogerty sued and lost. Eventually, he went solo and wrote a song called the Old Man Up The Road and it sounded very similar to Susie Q(?). Fantasy records sued him for plaguerism and the case went to the supreme court where Fogerty won. The Supreme court said something like you can't plaguerize yourself.

Moral of the story: Never sell the rights to your songs.

Welcome to teh site. Please don't post the same question multiple times. Now we have this conversation running in two threads.

Where's a mod when you need one??? :D

Thx for the input Chili and no problem on duplicate posting. I accidently placed it in the singers thread somehow, but I'll figure this all soon hopefully and keep that in mind. Thx for the welcome also. You guys are all a great help! I have so much to learn.

Back