what does DC Resistance means on pickups?

It is an easy way of measuring the impedance of the pickup (which is DC resistance x 1.25). The higher the impedance, the higher the output of the pickup.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

uh..
I dont get it.
this is from dimarzio.com
The dimarzio X2n has a dc resistance of 15.8 the output is 510
(7string vercion dc resistance 13.97 output 510)
The dimarzio evolution has a dc resistance 0f 13.84 output 404
(7string vercion dc resistance 14.09 output 420) ????

this numbers are not correct then...

Duncan Distortion's dc resistance 16.6 k so its hotter than the above?

Ostia Man said:
uh..
I dont get it.
this is from dimarzio.com
The dimarzio X2n has a dc resistance of 15.8 the output is 510
(7string vercion dc resistance 13.97 output 510)
The dimarzio evolution has a dc resistance 0f 13.84 output 404
(7string vercion dc resistance 14.09 output 420) ????

this numbers are not correct then...

Duncan Distortion's dc resistance 16.6 k so its hotter than the above?

I'm afraid I don't know what their referencing when they say "output". The only thing I can think of is that it may be something to do with the resonant peak, but I'm just not sure.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
I'm afraid I don't know what their referencing when they say "output". The only thing I can think of is that it may be something to do with the resonant peak, but I'm just not sure.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

My guess is that the number is output in millivolts.

it's another way of saying impedence.... just like with speakers the resistence varies with respect to frequency... though they're obviously much higher impedence wise... most of the problem can be traced back to the fact that they are inductors (transformers) and tend to be low pass filters...

ggunn said:
My guess is that the number is output in millivolts.

Maybe, but what is it picking up to put that out? To be honest, I use those numbers very little for myself, in that I've heard most of the pickups out there at least a few times, so I make my decisions based on what I've heard, you know?

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
Maybe, but what is it picking up to put that out? To be honest, I use those numbers very little for myself, in that I've heard most of the pickups out there at least a few times, so I make my decisions based on what I've heard, you know?

I'm not sure how they benchmark it, but a string or strings moving around in front of a pickup produces an AC waveform at the terminals of the pickup, and many pickup specs I have read quote a millivolt number for this waveform as an indicator of how "hot" the pickup is. But you know published specs and how much you can believe them, eh?

Back