What does Cakewalk WANT?

jthomas

I put this in the Cakewalk forum too but looking everywhere. I need some major help. Or maybe it's something simple and stupid like always with Windows. I've been using Git Studio 2 and Guitar Tracks on Win98 relatively issue free for awhile now. I moved my harddrive to a new cpu/motherboard recently (AMD/Duron, Via KT133A, 1100mhz, 256Ram). Everything else using the sound card works fine (Dazzle Movie software, different DVD players, Musicmatch, etc. Exception: Sound Forge, see below). So I buy the Home Studio upgrade and try to set it up and get... a blue "fatal exception" screen. Uninstall/reinstall, etc, same trouble, won't even start. But not only that, ALL my Cakewalk apps are doing the same thing (blue screen). Uncertain point: I can't remember if I tried running Git Studio 2 after I moved into the new cpu/mo-board and before I installed Home Studio, but I think I did. Cakewalk tech support thought it was IRQ problem, but there are no conflicts on any of the sound/video/midi devices. They also thought the sound drivers might be corrupted, etc, but that makes no sense in relation to other indicators. The only thing that changed on that hard drive of any significance is a) I'm on a new motherboard/cpu and b) Home Studio overwrote all earlier directx with Directx8.

To date I've tried the following to remedy it, all to no avail:

- remove every trace (as far as possible) of every Cakewalk app on the drive, and reinstalling Git Studio 2 as "compact".
- remove Git Studio, try Cakewalk Express.
- remove CW Express, try Guitar Tracks.
- put in an NVIDIA Vanta vid-accel card, card installs fine, plays DVDs (all players so far, some weren't working before because of primitive vid-card).
- noticed that for some reason Sound Forge was blue-screening also, uninstalled that.

I'm ready to hang Cakewalk up, in spite of the fact that I've got a number of songs in CW projects. This is a brand new, up to date, high powered box and Cakewalk doesn't like it. Can anybody tell me what they think is wrong or another dependable music recording software? I suspect it has something to do with Directx8, but why so fickle?
Thanks,
jt

Did you try updating Direct X to DirectX 8.1? The original release of DirectX 8 was apparently a big mess.

I had the same problem too. I had to remove Cakewalk and ALL MY DIRECTX PLUGINS. Then it worked fine after I re-installed. I'd like to give a special thanks to Microsoft for creating DirectX 8 WITHOUT A FREAKIN WAY TO UNINSTALL IT!!!

Also, is there an onboard sound device (card)? It's a long shot, but if you've got a separate sound card, go into SETUP and make sure the onboard one is disabled.

Best O' Luck to ya.

Back