What does bridged mean?

abalagula

I want to get a yamaha powered mixer that puts out 2x500 watts of power and 1000watts bridged. What does it mean?

When connected to the speakers as a mono amp (using one post from the left output and one post from the right output) it puts out 1000 watts. The owners manual shows you how to bridge the outputs.

Yo Abalagula- Check the impedence. Usually, when a dual channel power amp is bridged, it changes the impedence the amp is looking for. For instance, my Carver PM125 power amp is a 2 channel amp looking for 4 ohm monitors. When it is bridged, it becomes a one channel amp looking for an 8 ohm cabinet. My bass cab is 4 ohms, and my guitar cab is 8 ohms. Up to a point, it's OK to drive an 8 ohm cab with a 4 ohm output, although it is not usually very loud. Sending a signal that is looking for 8 or 16 ohms into a 4 ohm cab, as I understand it, is very bad. You will get your best sound, and possibly avoid blowing something up, by making sure that rated output and input impedence are matched.-Richie

Bridge=Repairshop to those who are not expreienced in signal gain structure so roll the dice I waiting for the bridged cabs to crapout :D

abalagula said:
I want to get a yamaha powered mixer that puts out 2x500 watts of power and 1000watts bridged. What does it mean?

Is there a specific reason you want this particular mixer?
I'm only asking because I would steer you clear of a mixingboard with an amp built in.

You are better off with 2 separate units if you can afford them.

Tim

Back