what does a license mean when purchase a beat

P.S.L

as the title says i would like to buy rap beats to rap on budt what does the license i have to pay for a beat do am i allowed to make money on the beat etc ?

A software license generally lays out the terms of use - The things you are allowed to do with the product.

For your case where you're paying for a usage license you'd need to read the usage terms which are going to be detailed somewhere on the site where you made the purchase
or, perhaps, included with the download.
If you're having difficulty finding that tell us what you bought and where and maybe someone can help. (y)

A software license generally lays out the terms of use - The things you are allowed to do with the product.

For your case where you're paying for a usage license you'd need to read the usage terms which are going to be detailed somewhere on the site where you made the purchase
or, perhaps, included with the download.
If you're having difficulty finding that tell us what you bought and where and maybe someone can help. (y)
https://prodbyninez.beatstars.com/beat/story-14967936 this beat i would like to purchase :)

If you click 'Licensing Info' at the bottom of the page then select the package you intend to purchase,
you'll see a button for 'Read License'.

It's a contract - It's not exactly user friendly language, but what you need to know is in there.

I expect Section 4 : Use of the Beat is probably what you're looking for.
  • The Licensee may make the New Song available for sale in physical and/or digital form and sell Unlimited downloads/physical music products and are allowed Unlimited monetized audio streams, Unlimited monetized video streams, Unlimited non-monetized video streams and are allowed Unlimited free downloads. The New Song may be available for sale as a single and/or included in a compilation of other songs bundled together by Licensee as an EP or a full-length Album. The New Song may be sold via digital retailers for permanent digital download in mp3 format and/or physical format, including compact disc and vinyl records. For clarity and avoidance of doubt, the Licensee does NOT have the right to sell the Beat in the form that it was delivered to Licensee. The Licensee must create a New Song (or instrumental as detailed above) for its rights under this provision to a vest. Any sale of the Beat in its original form by Licensee shall be a material breach of this Agreement and the Licensee shall be liable to the Licensor for damages as provided hereunder.
I'm not a lawyer and you should arrive at your own conclusions or take professional advice,
but that reads to me like you can't sell the beat on as a beat - I.E. direct reselling,
but you can create music using that beat and then sell your music.

Often software has two catagories. Reaper e.g is $60 (I think?) for private use but considerably more if you run a commercial studio.
Both are bloody good value tho'but!

Dave.

The important thing here is that you can do what you want with it, but it is NOT yours, which means that other people may well use the same beat - which if one of you becomes a millionaire and the other does not - could perhaps cause some issues. Imagine if your song is mixed so the beat is what youtube, spotify and shazzam grab as the fingerprint, but when people shazzam your release, it comes up with somebody else's recording with the same beat? Nothing you can do about it.

Those terms are pretty normal, and I'd have no issue using them myself - they would not worry me. Once I'd mangled the beat, I doubt anyone would get mistaken for me - although it does sometimes on spotify, but as they bring up somebody quite famous I figure I get the better deal?

b
The important thing here is that you can do what you want with it, but it is NOT yours, which means that other people may well use the same beat - which if one of you becomes a millionaire and the other does not - could perhaps cause some issues. Imagine if your song is mixed so the beat is what youtube, spotify and shazzam grab as the fingerprint, but when people shazzam your release, it comes up with somebody else's recording with the same beat? Nothing you can do about it.

Those terms are pretty normal, and I'd have no issue using them myself - they would not worry me. Once I'd mangled the beat, I doubt anyone would get mistaken for me - although it does sometimes on spotify, but as they bring up somebody quite famous I figure I get the bette

Those terms are pretty normal, and I'd have no issue using them myself - they would not worry me. Once I'd mangled the beat, I doubt anyone would get mistaken for me - although it does sometimes on spotify, but as they bring up somebody quite famous I figure I get the better deal?
so if i make a rap when i purchase license with this beat i wouldnt have eny trouble also im new to this budt do you credit the producer when you buy a license or not ? in the youtube describion ?

[quote}so if i make a rap when i purchase license with this beat i wouldnt have eny trouble also im new to this budt do you credit the producer when you buy a license or not ? in the youtube describion ?[/quote]

I don't know the "Official" answer to that. I'm sure one of these guys will set us both straight.

But I will say that, whether you "HAVE" to or not, I would credit anyone who played, wrote, or recorded anything I'm taking credit for, just out of curtesy.

Read 4c. In layman's terms that means you don't have to give credits or royalties. You are paying that in advance by purchasing the license.

But, then there is karma. If you wish to give credit then you may do so. But not legally required to.

Hip-hop and other sample-based musicians don't usually follow conventions like that.
You mean like...Doing something that requires actual talent?

Just kidding. I do like a lot of hip-hop....Not anything from the last 30 years, but Snoop's "Doggystyle" album (1992) and Dr. Dre's "The Chronic" (1992) are great. After that, it turned into "If you're able to pick up a microphone, you can call yourself a "Producah". :D

You mean like...Doing something that requires actual talent?

Just kidding. I do like a lot of hip-hop....Not anything from the last 30 years, but Snoop's "Doggystyle" album (1992) and Dr. Dre's "The Chronic" (1992) are great. After that, it turned into "If you're able to pick up a microphone, you can call yourself a "Producah". :D
Agreed, vintage hip-hop has its merits.

Part of the music creators world is to make everyone think you do everything, so while you could show the source of the beats, most people hear music, unaware of how it's done. So if you buy the licence, if attribution is not compulsory, then I'd not do it personally. The ONLY exclusion could be when you go to distribute the music. Some ask if the music includes samples - here they mean samples of other already distributed works - so knicking the great twiddly bit from somebody famous or unheard of. I've never heard EDM producers ever credit the sources they mash together.

I've recorded more than a few rappers/R+B singers, and virtually all of them licensed beats/tunes from a beat-maker on the internet. Depending on the type of license, you could make money off the beats with your own additions (almost always just vocals), but after a few thousand sales, you got cut off, so to speak, and the beat-maker would get the royalties, or whatever it's called, after that. As someone above mentioned, anybody else who ponied up the money for the beat would be using the exact same beat as you. It's something of a racket, but often the beats were good, and I had fun producing them and adding personal touches to the tracks.

Back