What do you use for a click track?

undrgrnd studio

Hey I used to use a keyboard click track because it was adjustable on a slider and allowed for me to get exactly what I wanted. That keyboard recently died. I know there is a built in click track on my Adobe Audition recording software, but I don't feel comfortable typing in how many beats per minute to get the exact tempo. I want something I can tap or dial in to get the tempo I need. What are you guys using? Just the in the box click or what?

Yeah, I just use the ones that are in the DAWs I use. I'm not sure I understand why you can't just type the bpm in, it might not be as quick as turning a dial, but just guess untill you're in the ballpark and then adjust your playing tempo a little.

I have an SR-16. But that damn thing is hard to program. It makes no sense to me at all. I know how to change the individual drums, tempo, and panning in the premade beats but I could never figure out how to create my own or save them.

Anyways, that is a pretty good idea. But you still need to tell it the BPM. What I want is something I can tap. The fact is, I have no idea how many beats per minute the music I'm playing is. It feels like a waste of time when I sit there and keep trying until I find the correct BPM in the box. If I could just tap a pad to the tempo I want, well that would be a huge time saver.

I'm experimenting with using midi files for this.
Basically, the whole tune with the beat turned up.
Can't stand nor follow click tracks.

I have an SR-16. But that damn thing is hard to program.

dude, it takes about a minute to proram the click and shaker and you only have to do it once if you like that pattern. there's a button to press to adjust the tempo up and down. as far as not knowing the tempo of the song you're recording, listen to the click. if it's too slow, turn it up.

I want something I can tap or dial in to get the tempo I need. What are you guys using? Just the in the box click or what?
iPhone has a good free metronome app that you can tap to set. Comes in a the free Gibson "Learn and Master Guitar" app. It has a pretty nice chromatic tuner also.

I'm going to be the grumpy one for once that speaks my mind...

God, its only a tempo marking, not some kind of unsolvable imaginary number. You're putting too much thought into this. You have far more flexibility by using the click in your DAW as you can have the confidence that it will be properly sync'd, will follow the tempo map and any time signature changes, etc. Tap out tempo on your leg and hold the beat in your head... take a guess at the approximate tempo (which you can usually get quite close with anyway) and listen back to the click... if its too slow you estimate by how much and put it up, if its too fast you put it down... repeat until correct tempo found. Hardly rocket science! Should take no longer than a minute which is, in the scheme of how long you are likely to spend on the recording, nothing.

End of grumpy post :)

I have Sonar Home Studio and it has a built-in tap tempo calculator. They aren't that complicated - I'm sure if you poke around your DAW might have one.

But you still need to tell it the BPM.

The fact is, I have no idea how many beats per minute the music I'm playing is. It feels like a waste of time when I sit there and keep trying until I find the correct BPM in the box.

OMFG!!! :eek:
You got to be kidding?!

BPM = Beats Per Minute
You look at a clock with a second hand...and then just tap and count for one minute!!!
Like how hard and how long is that going to be?
Oh wait...I know...ONE MINUTE! :D
Then when you have your BMP...just type it into your software app. :rolleyes:

OMFG!!! :eek:
You got to be kidding?!

BPM = Beats Per Minute
You look at a clock with a second hand...and then just tap and count for one minute!!!
Like how hard and how long is that going to be?
Oh wait...I know...ONE MINUTE! :D
Then when you have your BMP...just type it into your software app. :rolleyes:
Perhaps I don't feel like sitting around counting to 200. I used to have BOSS recorder with a great little built in click track that you could just tap. I know there must be a neat little device like that out there. Even nicer would be if it also had a blinking tempo light. I figured someone here must have something they could recommend.

Yeah, a few posts up.

Yes I see, I was still reading the rest of the posts. There's a nice little desktop app, an iphone app ( I don't have an Iphone), a great little web app, the SR 16 is always an option, and of course it was mentioned that my recording software might have a tap function. I'll try that, I didn't realize that would be an option.

I got great suggestions from some folks here, I appreciate it.

Perhaps I don't feel like sitting around counting to 200. I used to have BOSS recorder with a great little built in click track that you could just tap. I know there must be a neat little device like that out there. .

sr16, dude. and you have one. plug it into a track. pan the click to the appropriate output on in, plug it into the channel you want it recorded on, arm track, hit the button at the tempo you want.

Personally, I use an actual metronome. It is an elongated sort of pyramid shaped box made of wood. It has a metal rod that rocks back and forth creating a click sound with each pass. There is a metal weight that you can slide up and down the metal rod. Slide it up and the tempo slows, down and the tempo increases. You can set it to the appropriate tempo in mere seconds. It has tempo markings on it like "largo", "adagio" and "presto". I have no idea what that translates to in BPMs nor do I need to know. Of course, it doesn't handle tempo changes too well :o :).

Personally, I use an actual metronome. It is an elongated sort of pyramid shaped box made of wood. It has a metal rod that rocks back and forth creating a click sound with each pass. There is a metal weight that you can slide up and down the metal rod. Slide it up and the tempo slows, down and the tempo increases. You can set it to the appropriate tempo in mere seconds. It has tempo markings on it like "largo", "adagio" and "presto". I have no idea what that translates to in BPMs nor do I need to know. Of course, it doesn't handle tempo changes too well :o :).

I spent many hours with one of those.

I'm playing with the metronome on Audition now. Between the taptemp software and the built in click I should be fine. Although I don't know why they don;t have a built in tap tempo in Audition. Also, the choices are limited for sounds in Audition, and I don't see any way to add more. I like a kick drum sometimes for instance, and there isn't one.

Back