What do you this of this USB audio 24/96 from behringer

vedder99

Hey I'm new to this board so I just want to start off by saying Hello to everyone. I've learned so much reading all of your posts. Look forward to learning More. Anyway I was wondering what you guys think of this new product by Behringer for an audio interface.

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=BCA2000&lang=ENG&CFID=1144174&CFTOKEN=71726951

Its suppose to come out at the start of next month and it has 8 ins and 8 outs and looks to be a pretty decent setup, especially for the price. I was talking to the guy at the music place and he said they are going to sell for around 159.00 I believe. It says retail is 249.99 on the site. I was thinking of getting the audiophile 24/96 but now this might be a better choice. Its USB 2.0 so its nice to be able to go portable. Anyway let me know what you think.

Thanks.

TYler

vedder99 said:
Hey I'm new to this board so I just want to start off by saying Hello to everyone. I've learned so much reading all of your posts. Look forward to learning More. Anyway I was wondering what you guys think of this new product by Behringer for an audio interface.

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=BCA2000&lang=ENG&CFID=1144174&CFTOKEN=71726951

Its suppose to come out at the start of next month and it has 8 ins and 8 outs and looks to be a pretty decent setup, especially for the price. I was talking to the guy at the music place and he said they are going to sell for around 159.00 I believe. It says retail is 249.99 on the site. I was thinking of getting the audiophile 24/96 but now this might be a better choice. Its USB 2.0 so its nice to be able to go portable. Anyway let me know what you think.

Thanks.

TYler

Re-read the specs - it only has 3 inputs (1 mono, 1 stereo).

Back panel

Look at the back panel view - Not sure how they get the 8 inputs count - looks like you get 2 mic inputs and line ins, then the digital ins count for something. Still don't count 8 inputs unless you're talking MIDI or ADAT.

Here's an interesting-looking unit that has a similar philosophy....

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--LEXOMEGA

It's more money, but I trust Lexicon MUCH more than Behringer.

So, let me get this straight...

I can connect the Lexicon Omega Studio USB Audio Interface into my PC via the USB port, and use nTrack or some other software (I see one is included with this)?

Do I also need a different soundcard than my pc came with?

Seems too good to be true.

G

Personally, I would take a long hard look at the PCI interface. If portability is the driving factor or if you're limited to a Laptop, then disregard but I had a series of gripes with usb interfaces myself. I've tried a few but just seemed like I was destined to be a computer trouble shooter.

I've tried the Creative Labs Extingy (DON'T BUY THIS!...IT'S CRAP! and there's no support!). I also have an M-Audio Quatro...big improvement to the Extingy but still seemed to have some serious latency issues and to get higher sampling rates pretty hard to do with a laptop and USB bandwidth limitations.

If portability and only a couple of tracks at a time is needed, I would look at a dedicated out-board recording device,...something like the Fostex MR-8...with the USB/Flash card interface, you can download the tracks to your PC and mix/fix that way.

IMHO

Yes, I've been mulling that option over, too. Part of me doesn't want the pc to be the only link in the chain. I fear losing everything in a crash.

Thanks for the input.

punkin said:
I've tried the Creative Labs Extingy (DON'T BUY THIS!...IT'S CRAP! and there's no support!). I also have an M-Audio Quatro...big improvement to the Extingy but still seemed to have some serious latency issues and to get higher sampling rates pretty hard to do with a laptop and USB bandwidth limitations.

Anything by Creative Labs cannot be regarded as a serious recording option and the Quattro's reputation is infamous. Two bad examples but I do agree that usb wouldn't be my first choice either.

When you want portability, you'd be better of with a firewire device. Lucky for us, quite a few affordable firewire devices are hitting the street this quarter (M-Audio Firewire Audiophile to name just one).

Like every Behringer product I've tried, aside from the Truth monitors, I say aovid this.

Behringer isn't a name I trust when it comes to having great quality.
IMO behringer is like the Ja Rule of the recording equipment world, biting everyone elses shit.

Do all pc's have firewire inputs? I see some extra 'holes' in the back of the pc, but aren't sure what they're for! I've read that firewire is more stable, too. Hmmm....decisions, decisions....

:rolleyes:

Not every computer has firewire but it's getting more common nowadays.
Even if you don't have it, a firewire PCI interface would set you back only like $20,-, probably even less so I'd say keep that option open.

Back