What do you think to my list?

bluesmouse

Hi everybody, after much research here I have decided on a list of mics that I will need to start my home studio and I would like to know if you think it will be satisfactory for my requirements please. I will be recording rock and blues music but using drum samples instead of real drums, the bass guitar will go straight into the mixer. I'll also be recording an acoustic guitar duo, capturing everything live in one take.

Studio Projects B3 condenser= for vocals, occasionally acoustic guitar, and because of switchable patterns (omni etc.) for capturing room ambience, e.g. to use in conjunction with a dynamic mic to capture the background room noise of an electric guitar amp

Shure SM57 for micing a guitar amp and other amps, maybe vocals too

2 Marshall MXL 603's for recording two acoustic guitars or one in stereo

Marshall V67G for when I want really decent vocals

So what do you think, will these mics do the job? I'm on a modest budget so please only suggest things that I can stretch to, I know there is better stuff out there for a LOT more money.

Thanks,
b-mouse.

Those mic's should work very well for you and they are very nice mic's. However, I suggest you get a DI box for the bass.

Hop on ebay sometime and see if you can track down a used Audio Technica 4033.

If so, I'd replace either the B3 or the v67 with that. Then you could always grab a Behringer ecm8000 for $35 to have around when you need a wider pickup pattern . . . also for tambo/shaker/percussion.

good list...but i could do without the B3.....if you like the sound of the v67 on your voice, you really dont need a second vocal mic...and as far as room ambiance, the v67 could do that and anyway, unless you have treated your room and it sounds good, you may not wanna even do it.....

I think it's a good list. You could also drop one of the 603s and keep both the V67 and the B3. This will give you more vocal options, more guitar cab options, and more acoustic micing options. Omnis are just cool--great for horns, too.

A fairly well thought out list. I also say keep the B-3. You may find you'll get a very good mono take on the acoustics with the players facing each other with the figure of 8 between them. Also if you back off the 603's, you can use them as a spaced or coincedent stereo pair to capture both acoustics. The 603's and the B-3 can also be used for mid-side (MS) stereo mic'ing. The omni option is useful for close mic'ing acoustic, and as an ambient mic if the material and the room call for it. More importantly, the multi-pattern mic will be a very useful learning tool for you as a neophyte enjooneer. -Richie

Back