What do you think of this setup.

Wazn

Hey, Id like to hear your oppinion on my upcoming purchases. They are required for my program in audio production at the school i'm going to.

Sennheiser HD280 Headphones

Macbook Pro 17"... I'm choosing this one...

* 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1680 x 1050 pixels
* 2GB memory
* 160GB hard drive1
* 8x double-layer SuperDrive
* NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM

M-box 2 factory.

LaCie 500Gb Firewire 800/USB External Drive

What do you think of this hardware list? Any suggestions?

Hey, Id like to hear your oppinion on my upcoming purchases. They are required for my program in audio production at the school i'm going to.

Sennheiser HD280 Headphones

Macbook Pro 17"... I'm choosing this one...

* 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1680 x 1050 pixels
* 2GB memory
* 160GB hard drive1
* 8x double-layer SuperDrive
* NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM

M-box 2 factory.

LaCie 500Gb Firewire 800/USB External Drive

What do you think of this hardware list? Any suggestions?
Forget the mbox. You can get something a lot better...

I hear some really bad stuff about the M-Box's quality. If you've gotta use protools, take a look at the M-Audio 1814

I wouldn't go with M-Audio hardware, either---M-Audio's Mac FireWire drivers were crap the last time I tried them. Maybe they've gotten better since then, but I'm not holding my breath. During 10.3 and the first part of 10.4, I'd have to change driver versions every time I installed a minor OS upgrade, and at some point I realized that the versions of their drivers with Pro Tools support were just all horrible, and rolled back to a version without Pro Tools support and everything worked after that.

I don't use Pro Tools and wouldn't recommend anything by Digi. I'm not a fan of vendor lock-in, even less so software that uses PACE (blech), and I'm totally not a fan of software that is so fragile against minor OS updates. Just reading this steaming pile is enough to make me keep their software and hardware at more than arm's length.

I'd go with a MOTU interface and either Digital Performer or Logic.

Back