What do you think of my black metal guitar tone?

ericlingus

Okay i've been messing around for a while now trying to get a black metal tone I like. I recently bought a Mesa Boogie F50 amp. I used a schecter c1 xxx guitar,the already stated amp,a senheiser E609s and an SM57,a firebox and cubase LE. I recorded two takes. One with the contour switch on(100% right) and one with it off(100%left). Each take I used both mics with the E609s right on the center of the speaker cone and the 57 off axis coming from a 40 degree angle. Both mics were about two inches away from the grill cloth. My amp is in my closet which I covered in foam and blankets, it's also on an amp stand. I used ambience freeware reverb(on the cathedral 1 setting). After listening to this for a bit, I think I used too much reverb even for my tastes(I love heavily reverbed guitars for atmospheric black metal) and maybe I could have cut the treble a little bit more. But other than that I am happy with it. I think other people's tastes will be pretty different. But at least i'm happy with it. What do you think?

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3413

You're right, there is a lot of reverb on there. I think that it would sound much better without so much reverb, if any at all. If it were me, I would leave it dry, but that is just personal preference. Could you post a version w/out any reverb, just out of curiousity? It sounds like the basic guitar tone isn't bad, but the reverb seems to be mucking it up a bit. Just my opinion.

I would but I only have like two more mp3 exports in cubase LE before I have pay for plugin that exports to mp3's. Fucking cheap bastards at steinberg. I personally like reverb and it's a big part of my sound. I would never have my guitars(in the atmospheric black metal genre) without it. Just a personal preference. Thanks for listening. But I do agree there was too much even for my standards.

IMO, it would be better to just export to .wav files, and then copy and convert the .wav files to mp3s. That way, you won't use up your mp3 conversions, and then you will always have a full quality version of that mix. I always do it this way. Unless I know it is just a little mp3 for something like what you were doing. Then I just export it straight to mp3 in Cubase SX. But if it is a real mix of a whole song, then I always export to .wav first, then convert to mp3. You can use iTunes or any number of mp3 conversion programs out there.

Just a suggestion. :D

see that's a problem. I tried using a wav to mp3 converter and it didn't work! I could do it the other way around though. Maybe a blocker was put on it because steinberg are cheap fucks? Could you link me to a converter that you know has worked for you?

Well, I usually just use iTunes. But I have also used Audacity. Just open up the .wav, then go to file, export as mp3. You have to have the lame encoder, but you can download that here. There are even instructions on how to install it into Audacity on that page.

I use a freebie called FreeRip. It's designed to rip CD audio to mp3 or wav format, but it has a feature under its "tools" menu to convert a single audio file between any of its supported formats.

You might have to go grab an mp3 encoder like LAME but it works well and its free.

I like man.... Nice stereo spread. If your big on reverb. I would get an outboard reverb unit. I think you will find it more apealing.

I say this being a hybrid guy.

If you don't mind I would like to work with your track adding synth just for fun, and I could post it.

I really like the synth background addition,

The distortion doesn't have that much deepness to it, but i dont think that what you are going for anyways

If you are needing a FREE nice sounding reverb plug, get the Kjhaerus Classic Reverb. I have really come to like it's "tweakability". I use the Vocal Hall 1 setting, and tweak from there to get a pretty nice Opeth type, heavy verb...

BTW, your tone has come a LONG way from when you first started posting here. It sounds pretty darn good.

im not a fan of the reverb. i think a well mixed recorded and played guitar sound (or any sound for that matter) sounds much sweeter on the dryer side. you can hear the thump and grind of the instrument when its not washed out in reverb. heavy reverb sounds flat and 80s sounding. there is a time and place for reverb but not in that type of music IMO.

i'll have to disagree. But to each their own. Thanks for the compliments on my tone guys. For mayo, did you listen to the first sound clip? Or were you just talking about the guitars in the second one with the synth added?

oh and amra, I have that reverb. I'll spend more time with it and see how it compares to ambience. Thanks for the compiment btw.

Back