What do you think of Breedlove?

Purge

Traitorous Usurper
Went and tried out a Breedlove Atlas series today (AJ250/SM) and I loved the hell out of it. But for only $700, which gets me a nice solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides (laminate there, I believe), Fishman electronics, and a nice case that you could drive a tank over, I'm trying to figure out what the catch is. Plus...it just looks cool. Anybody here tried/owned/hated/etc these guitars? For lack of a better phrase, are Breedlove guitars sort of the "Ibanez" of acoustic guitars, meaning that you get lots of nifty features for a decent price...but it's no Taylor?

Purge said:
Went and tried out a Breedlove Atlas series today (AJ250/SM) and I loved the hell out of it. But for only $700, which gets me a nice solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides (laminate there, I believe), Fishman electronics, and a nice case that you could drive a tank over, I'm trying to figure out what the catch is. Plus...it just looks cool. Anybody here tried/owned/hated/etc these guitars? For lack of a better phrase, are Breedlove guitars sort of the "Ibanez" of acoustic guitars, meaning that you get lots of nifty features for a decent price...but it's no Taylor?

I didn't like the 3 I have played. But some people love them.

It's possible that I'm just in the world of "oooohhh...shiny. It's not a Takamine." Anything in particular you didn't like, or just an overall "not feeling it"?

Purge said:

I don't think there's any "catch", it's just not a $1200 guitar and it's not going to sound like one. In my own experience it seems once you get past $1000 things start sounding good.

The Breedlove Atlas series guitars are fantastic, and offer huge bang for the buck. The laminates used on the sides and back are not typical cheap laminates used by lower end guitars. IIRC it is a high pressure pressing that is much more stable and produces a better sound than typical laminates. I have played several and was seriously impressed by them. I have owned 5 USA Breedloves, and currently own two so I can compare the imports. The imports are not going to replace my USAs...not by a longshot. But they also don't cost 3K. I haven't played anything close in this pricerange. The Martins in this range are awful IMHO and not worth the hastle. I give them a big thumbs up. In this pricerange, I haven't seen anything close.

are Breedlove guitars sort of the "Ibanez" of acoustic guitars, meaning that you get lots of nifty features for a decent price...but it's no Taylor?

Not even close. The Breedlove USAs are smoking guitars. They have a particular sound that isn't for everyone, but the only guitars I have played that I have liked as much were Collings, Goodall, and Huss & Dalton. Taylor just doesn't compare IMHO. I have owned a bunch of Taylors, including some seriously high priced ones, and I sold them all when I discovered Breedlove.

My current Breedloves are

1. Master Class Ed Gerhardt
2. 12 String J20 with KOA back and sides.

Purge said:
It's possible that I'm just in the world of "oooohhh...shiny. It's not a Takamine." Anything in particular you didn't like, or just an overall "not feeling it"?

Just an overall "not feeling it".

i know they make them in the town i live in ...well actually a little suburb of where i live...other than that ....you know for being a homegrown guitar ...i dont see them around here much ???..

Appreciate the comments, guys. It was nice to get some responses without a single "dude, you should play it and if you like it, then that's a good guitar for you." (yeah, no shit...if I wanted a comment like that, I could've just posted in the mic forum... :D )

I'm steering towards that Atlas, but this weekend I'll head back up to the shop and try out some of the upper models.

I think LISlim has a Breedlove that he brought to the last jamfest. Sounded and played nice. No catch that I'm aware of.

Here's my opinion of Breedlove. I own one that is about 10 years old that is a concert body with spruce top and myrtle back and sides. It is an unbelievable guitar. Plays fantastic and sounds incredible. It is my opinion that when they started selling in M.F. they devalued their brand. They used to not make an "affordable" or "entry level" guitar, which I thought was really cool. I haven't played an atlas series, but I'd hope they're at least better than entry level martins and taylors for the same price. It is also my opinion, this will get me in trouble but its the damned truth..., that taylor guitars aren't as good as everyone says they are. They're some of the prettiest guitars you'll ever see, but besides that they have very little in terms of tone. I've played, setup, sold, etc., most of the taylor line from the baby series to the top of the line stuff and wasn't impressed in the least. Look at some of the nice breedloves, they're both pretty and sound fantabulous. I used to work at indoorstorm.com, if you're looking for some amazing acoustics, check them out. If you want a name that everyone knows, get yourself a taylor. If you want something a little off the beaten path that will outperform a taylor, check out something else.

Just my opinion ;)

Rory

rory said:
If you want something a little off the beaten path...
Exactly the plan. The Breedlove guitars really caught my eye and I'm glad I found a place that sells them. Thanks for the input.

I like my breedlove a lot and when I first bought it I didn't think that anything else sounded as good. After spending some time with it I think that the low end is a bit prominent, but I did get the dreadnought size... I think it's a really good VALUE for the money, but does not compare to the more expensive taylors etc. Way better than the cheap martins IMHO.

I used to "Work" at GC and would hide in the acoustic room trying different guitars, mostly just for the novelty of playing a really expensive instrument as opposed to my $179 Yahmaha.
I don't know alot about guitars (Which qualifys me to have worked there), but i played one Breedlove and it was just like no other guitar I have ever tried. Something about the tone you could elicit via the feel of it.
I can't describe it, but it felt i was more connected to it and the nuances of my playing really came though effortlessly and just so nice sounding.
Could have been the tuning or the way it was set up (Don't know) but man, i should have ran out the door with it!

Back