What do YOU run into your CEP / AA1.5?

Graham2017

Hey, I see that most people posting here have succesfully laid down more than 1 track, unlike myself. I recently bought AA1.5 and I'm now considering my options to start up recording.
I'm in a 4 piece band, guitar, bass, vocal, drummer, pretty basic, and we want to start doing stuff. We have all of our amps, drums, and vocals mic'ed.
I have been told I will probably want a mic preamp, but I don't know what the purpose would be when I have a mixer. The mixer is a Crate PX900DLX http://www.crateproaudio.com/products/box_mixers/PX900DLX.html . I have 8 mics total that I am ample to plug in there, leaving me with 1 open spot.
People have said get a digital multi track, then into your computer via firewire / usb. Some have said go from the mixer into a nice multitrack soundcard (ex.- E-MU product, etc.). My current soundcard is a Soundblaster Audigy Platinum.
I'll be honest and say I'm completely clueless with what I should do, so I'm asking around what people do that actually get this to work.
Also, I would like to know whats the minimum I could purchase / do to start recording ASAP with AA1.5.

All info greatly appreicated! Cheers!

Jamey

You've got a mixer already, and it seems it has preamps in all channels, is that right?

If that's the case, then you could do all your recording if you got a decent soundcard. If you go that route, then you have to decide how many channels. Mine's got 8 channels, which is nice for tracking drums (pity I don't track drums). But I bet you could do with four mics in a good room (one on kick, one on snare, and a pair of overheads). I'd rather have four mics on a kit in a good room than eight mics in a crap room.

I've been running on an Echo I/O but I only record one track at a time. (with drum loops)

I have a PreSonus firepod coming and I plan to record some band stuff with that. I'll let you know how it works.

You should be able to record your band on your mixer. Most people like a profressional one channel preamp because they have the compression and EQ build in and with some you can get that good warm tube sound.

My thoughts are if you can master your sound with the equipment you've got, then your going to sound that much better when you upgrade.

dobro said:
You've got a mixer already, and it seems it has preamps in all channels, is that right?

If that's the case, then you could do all your recording if you got a decent soundcard. If you go that route, then you have to decide how many channels. Mine's got 8 channels, which is nice for tracking drums (pity I don't track drums). But I bet you could do with four mics in a good room (one on kick, one on snare, and a pair of overheads). I'd rather have four mics on a kit in a good room than eight mics in a crap room.

Yea, the mixer I was talking about has preamps in all of the channels and such (im pretty sure) although I'm not 100% sure what preamps are, but yea, there are 9 channels, each with their own settings and such.
One thing I lost you on is you saying I have to decide how many channels I want... I'm pretty sure I want to use every one I can. I will be using the 4 mic setup on my drums like you were saying, a bass amp mic'ed, a guitar amp mic'ed, a lead vocal, and backup vocal. I guess that would be 8 channels, no? I really don't know exactly what you mean, but that mixer has 9 channels.

Thanks for the great input and help thus far,

Jamey :)

I have a Mackie mixer thats has two Technics turntables, a Roland MC-303 (beat machine), and a Rode microphone hooked up to it. I have an amazingly bad SoundBlaster Live card that surprisingly helps me make some decent sounding music. I know for a fact the average listener has no clue that the sound is not top notch but even some of the more seasoned ears probably can't tell either. I want a better sound card with xlr and 1/4" inputs but I'd almost go for a better mic...balancing the wants of a poor budget with the needs of a realistic mind.

It's not what you have but how you use it...but if you have what you want and know how to use it then you have talent backed by funds.

amen to that...

So okay...

Lets say I too, have a mic mixer, (behringer board what have you), what I think the question was (or is now, for I am a little curious)...When recording off say, 4mics for example, can they each be assigned to an individual track? (In Cep?) or would you be tweaking a single track with the single input from the mixer? Follow?

(Sorry if I'm going to much on a tangent in this thread, Im sure itll get back ontrack..)

I really want to record this acoustic guitar/singer dude...I was kindly informed that I may have to look into multiple mics...w/ phantom..

now...my setup is headphones, Mic, filter, mic stand.

I also want to graduate to a condenser, and hook up turntables to my (dare I say it?) DAW ;)....so some light on that initial question would be great....

-Chris

:)(Happy to see you)

SkylarjohnsoN said:
I have a Mackie mixer thats has two Technics turntables, a Roland MC-303 (beat machine), and a Rode microphone hooked up to it. I have an amazingly bad SoundBlaster Live card that surprisingly helps me make some decent sounding music. I know for a fact the average listener has no clue that the sound is not top notch but even some of the more seasoned ears probably can't tell either. I want a better sound card with xlr and 1/4" inputs but I'd almost go for a better mic...balancing the wants of a poor budget with the needs of a realistic mind.

It's not what you have but how you use it...but if you have what you want and know how to use it then you have talent backed by funds.

So, if i were to go into my current audigy soundcard, my only input would be a standard mic in plug from my aux out to the back of my sound card. That seems like it would be too compressed, am I wrong?
If that would work, it would be great! Fill me in! =)

Jamey

Your limitation will be the number of inputs available. With the Audigy you'll have 2: your options for multi-micing will be restricted to either recording no more than 2 sources at a time or, if you have a mixer, mixing all your mic inputs down to 2 channels. If you need to record more than 2 tracks simultaneously on separate channels, you'll need to get a more elaborate sound card.

I have the main outs of my mixer going from seperate 1/4" plugs to a y-connector that ends in a minijack. This is a technical no-no...but I can get a decent sound...I think it has a lot to do with the fact I only use this set up to record my vocals...I mean I input samples from records but you aren't looking for a clean crisp sound when you use those...but as far as vocals I've been using the same mic forever and know how to record MY voice. If I were to record a whole bunch of other people I don't know if I could achieve the same quality. And I wouldn't know where to start if I was using my setup to record instruments through mics.

It just takes time. We've all thought our first recordings were AMAZING, then realizing months/years later they sucked.

Back