What Do You Guys Think of This Mix?

Sounds like Tame Impala from their Lonerism album, track 4 to me! What exactly did you want us to comment on this professionally tracked and copyrighted song?

Lol I was never claiming it as my own. I'm just curious as to what people think about the unique style of mixing. I want to hear people's thoughts regarding the overall production of it.

I wouldn't even go as far to say this is "professionally tracked". It was recorded in a bedroom with no sound treatment.

The separation's astounding and it's got a creativity that you never hear on homerecording forums. I love that crackly distortion on the panned guitars. I love the fearlessly imaginative drumming. I love the softness of the bigness that arrives at 2.00. I've never heard these guys, but they're amazing.

Lol I was never claiming it as my own. I'm just curious as to what people think about the unique style of mixing. I want to hear people's thoughts regarding the overall production of it.

I wouldn't even go as far to say this is "professionally tracked". It was recorded in a bedroom with no sound treatment.

No, definitely not 'professionally tracked', but produced in a way that makes it it's own unique thing. Some parts of the tune make me cringe, but at the same time, it seems to work for the track. I got tired of the flange thing quickly, but I have not taken a hit of liquid LSD in many years either....

Whoa........flashbacks are kinda......what? Who said that? smoothe.......

The separation's astounding and it's got a creativity that you never hear on homerecording forums. I love that crackly distortion on the panned guitars. I love the fearlessly imaginative drumming. I love the softness of the bigness that arrives at 2.00. I've never heard these guys, but they're amazing.
Honestly, that's why I posted this. Every recording I see on this forum sounds the same, or is going for the same sound. Everyone seems obsessed with getting a perfect, hifi mix that sounds like it came from a big budget studio. I feel the way that people approach recording here is very "textbook", and I was a little surprised when I started listening to mixes on here. I found that many people omit creativity and freedom and replace it with mundane and conservative production techniques. There are good songs on here, no doubt, but the production techniques seem to drag a lot of the great songwriting going on around here.

It's not a very pleasant sounding track and definitely not one of their best IMO. Experimental is good but then there is noise. This is bordering on noise.

A good friend of mine who knows I like my 60's Psyche/Garage thought I'd like this band. He was wrong! But you have to remember that this band is trying to emulate a sound of that style, so it would never work with a clean "big studio" sound.

It's not a very pleasant sounding track.

I agree. "Different" doesn't mean "better", it just means "different". If you like it, it's better. If you you find it frickin' annoying, it's not better.

OP, why don't you post something of yours?

Honestly, that's why I posted this. Every recording I see on this forum sounds the same, or is going for the same sound. Everyone seems obsessed with getting a perfect, hifi mix that sounds like it came from a big budget studio. I feel the way that people approach recording here is very "textbook", and I was a little surprised when I started listening to mixes on here. I found that many people omit creativity and freedom and replace it with mundane and conservative production techniques. There are good songs on here, no doubt, but the production techniques seem to drag a lot of the great songwriting going on around here.

I'd agree with most of that. I think at the level that most people here are at, one big aim is to avoid stupid mistakes. And we all know what happens when you try to avoid mistakes... You reduce the number of little mistakes, but you start to choke a bit and it becomes obvious on a bigger scale, on a higher level of organization, and the result is the kind of conservative mixes that you identified. Last night after I was here I cracked open a new CD called Best of Chess - and it was exactly that - Howlin Wolf, Little Walter, Muddy Waters - so so so very very good. It combined two things basically - rough and ready sound and brilliant performances with lots of rough edges. It just sounded *so* good compared to what we listen to on these forums. So okay, okay, the people here aren't Howlin Wolf and Chuck Berry. But I want to say that I think the second stage of homerecording is when you know enough of the basics to start to relax your grip a bit. Stop trying to avoid mistakes. Stop trying to be perfect. Give creativity a chance.

I agree. "Different" doesn't mean "better", it just means "different". If you like it, it's better. If you you find it frickin' annoying, it's not better.

OP, why don't you post something of yours?

It's different and it's better. The album received universal critical acclaim, being named album of the year by many.

I have posted my stuff. You can look at my post history if you wish.

The album received universal critical acclaim, being named album of the year by many.
you said something similar in the other thread, where you got bent out of shape, defending homo-ism. Personally...if you need someone else's opinion on whether it is "good" or not...you'll never be satisfied with your music.

It's different and it's better.
According to who? You. Fine, I disagree, welcome to the world of personal taste.
The album received universal critical acclaim, being named album of the year by many.
So have a lot of albums that I'm sure you wouldn't like. Is that how you validate your opinion on something? Based on what "many" others think?
Besides the fact I was only talking about this one song. Maybe I'd love the rest of the album, but this song did nothing for me as far as "creativity" is concerned. Don't take it personally, I'm not attacking you or that band.
I have posted my stuff. You can look at my post history if you wish.
I listened to a few of your songs. I'm going to reserve giving any opinion because I don't want this to turn itno a "your music sucks....well so does yours" type of thing. I'll just say that you're in no position to get on your high horse about how "everyone else on this board" mixes. Believe me. I'm in no position to do that either, which is why I don't.

Last edited:
I jus don't know why people don't own up to thier work. That proly is his mix RAMI!..."what do you guys think about this mix?" Umm ok?? Why you scared ashamed to claim your music? ...bet he won't post "his" music.

But it's not yours right? ...are we not grown men round here that's what's wrong with the world grown men in their feelings. You know what I'm gonna put up a mix and a master to be praised or ripped. See the beauty of being in music production all criticism is good.[/QUOTE]

I think you shouldn't post entire tracks created by someone else as that would breach the artist's copyright.

So if it's not yours, I'd be removing it...

Everyone seems obsessed with getting a perfect, hifi mix that sounds like it came from a big budget studio. I feel the way that people approach recording here is very "textbook", and I was a little surprised when I started listening to mixes on here. I found that many people omit creativity and freedom and replace it with mundane and conservative production techniques. There are good songs on here, no doubt, but the production techniques seem to drag a lot of the great songwriting going on around here.

Idol.... I agree. If I could sing like you, I would :-)

But my (additional) response to the above quote would be that you have to know the 'rules' GOOD, before you can break them. Too many ignorant recordists try to pass off their stuff as intentionally lo-fi when in fact they couldn't record something clean...or their goofy mix balance is reasoned by creativity....or their horrible guitar sounds are touted as what was wanted.... on and on... The great thing about the clinic is you have people that are very talented to those that just started recording and posting the same week and here to learn. To lump everyone in one box isn't fair for that reason either. I think if you dig enough, you'll find production techniques that are top notch on the home equipment most people around here use.

I feel the way that people approach recording here is very "textbook", and I was a little surprised when I started listening to mixes on here.
I found that many people omit creativity and freedom and replace it with mundane and conservative production techniques.

The majority of people who post in this clinic are learning. Textbooks and learning are pretty strongly linked.

What do you hope to achieve here?

Too many ignorant recordists try to pass off their stuff as intentionally lo-fi when in fact they couldn't record something clean...or their goofy mix balance is reasoned by creativity....or their horrible guitar sounds are touted as what was wanted.... on and on...
:thumbs up:

Back