What do you guys think about this?

Lo-Fi Mike

I found this on the Internet, and it struck me as pretty odd. I wanted to see if maybe there was a certain genre or drum sound that might be achieved by putting drums in a tight room like this.
confused.....but maybe they know somthing i don't..:confused:

l_7bc697e2fa033e4df188169f15e0055a.jpg

-mike-

The drums are not in that small room to get a certain type of sound. It's for isolation so the other instuments don't bleed into the drum mikes and vice-versa.

Life is short - Live it to the Max!

that may not even be a room... but rather a 3 walled enclosure to help with iso. If you look in the lower left it's either a door or the end of the wall. for some reason think thats not a full room, of course what do i know?:)

I usually like drums in bigger rooms, but as the others have said it looks like this is for isolation.

Yeah

I usually like drums in bigger rooms, but as the others have said it looks like this is for isolation.

whats up Ronan....Love your videos man!!!

yeah, I like big rooms for drums as well. I just saw them mic'ed up and though..Why? There is a mic on every drum even the hi hats.
Even in a mid size room i wouldn't see the need for a hi hat mic.
Maybe one mic for listening purposes and maybe 3 max for recording in a small room.
But that's just me.

keep the vids coming Ronan.....lots of great info

-mike-

With the glass, or plexiglass so close to the cymbals you get a harsh sound.

That, to me, is very 1980... after that there was a movement to bring the drums out into the main room.

Makes me want to grab my earplugs just looking at that!

I have such a room...but only one window...so he could maintain a bit of eye contact with others playing at the same time...you really do want to avoid bleed but such a small room isnt good either.

whats up Ronan....Love your videos man!!!

yeah, I like big rooms for drums as well. I just saw them mic'ed up and though..Why? There is a mic on every drum even the hi hats.
Even in a mid size room i wouldn't see the need for a hi hat mic.
Maybe one mic for listening purposes and maybe 3 max for recording in a small room.
But that's just me.

keep the vids coming Ronan.....lots of great info

Thanks for the kind words about the videos. I went for a good long stretch not putting a mic on the hi-hat, but I have started doing it again for most records. Its not very often it gets used in the mix, but every once in while if you need that ultra present hat on some styles of music, its good to have if the drummer was not amazing.

Back