What do you do to mix your vocals for cool edit pro

h i p h o p

What do you do to your vocals to make them sound crispier, cleaner, less static...what kind of steps do you take when mixing your vocals...I need to try some out and see what sounds the best. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP

h i p h o p said:
What do you do to your vocals to make them sound crispier, cleaner, less static
That's all best handled in the tracking, not the mixing.

Recipe:

1. Start with a great voice.

2. Put the voice in the proper room for recording: If you want dry vocals that you can manipulate like Silly Putty in special effects mixing, record the vocals in a failry dead room or vocal booth. If you want naturally good sounding vocals, record in a room that naturally sounds good.

3. Choose the right microphone for that voice (test a couple of dofferent ones, if possible) and run it thorugh a matching, clean, quality preamp.

4. Run direct from the preamp into the converter or recorder. Keep the signal chain short and do not add a bunch of EQ or compression or anything else on the way in. You can always add that stuff to the track later if you need. But keep it clean for now.

Follow the above four steps as best as possible and your vocal tracks will be perfectly workable. Skimp on any of those steps and your vocals will be stiffer and more difficult to work with in mixing.

G.

Back