What do ya know another Peavey Tube amp question.

blazingstrings

dgatwood can **** himself
hey guys,

I'm looking for a new tube amp (new being important).
I tryed a Peavey Classic 30, and Valve King 112 as well as a Fender Hotrod deluxe.

I am willing to spend up to around $500.00 and would like it to 50 watts or less(Small club amp) and a 112 combo.

I'm just looking for more sugestions on brand and models and what folks think of the Peavey Valve King's.

Thanks.

-Blaze

I would avoid the Fender HR Deluxe. I know too many people that bought that amp and were very disappointed with it's o/d tones. The Peavey Classic 30 is a good basic amp, though it needs a speaker and tube swap to get the real goods out of it. I have a Laney VC30 that I really like: 30 watts, class "A", 1x12. It gets that nice Voxy kind of chimey clean tones and the o/d sounds are nice.

One of the best bang for the buck amps out there is the Traynor Custom Valve series, especially the 15 watt WR model and the 50 watt Blue. I tried them out, after I had already bought the Laney, and I would have picked one up if I hadn't already spent my amp budget for the time being.

I'll second the Traynor YCV series. If you're doing anything from classic rock to a bit more modern stuff the YCV series are excellent amps. They won't really do metal or nu-metal stuff, and their clean headroom isn't that big. Fortunately I don't require either of those things from my YCV80 and we get along nicely.

As a matter of fact, I'd almost go as far as to call the YCV series the 6L6 version of the Peavey Classic series. They have different voicings due to the different tubes but they have about the same basic range of tones.

Back