what do u guys think of AUDIX mics?

xdankennyx

i saw this set of 6 AUDIX mic's for drum's for 299 i was wondering if it's a good buy,it has 3- F10 mics,1- F12 and 2 over head mics i dunt no the model # do you think it's a good deal or should i buy mics seprately

Some of my favorite drum mic's are...

Kick... Sennheiser MD421
Snare... Beyer M201
Overheads... AKG 451's

xdankennyx, I haven't ready use any of the Audix mic's enought to comment on them... however, I have heard the Audix D6 live through the new JBL system and IMO it sounded good.

They make a pretty good (some would say really good) kick drum mic in the D6 and I've heard others say some good things about their other D series mics...but their Fusion (f-series) aren't as well regarded. Seems to be a case of you get what you pay for, and Audix drum packs cover the gamut, from 200 to 2000...

I haven't used the Audix models you mentioned, but I've used their 02 handheld dynamic quite a bit and it's one of my favorite mics for live female voices... it's extremely clean-sounding, with an extended upper end and somewhat beefy-sounding mid/low-mid. Most of the female vocalists I've worked with said they "graduated" from a Shure SM-58 to an Audix 02 because "they sound much cleaner and smoother" with the 02 on their voices... FWIW... YMMV

thanks alot for the feedback, i kinda figured its a get what you pay for deal im probily just going to buy mic seprately how i planed, thanks again

Audix makes really good drum mics, BUT, the kit that you saw is probably the same one I looked at. Its their cheapier mic set. A d6 (which is not included in the 299 set) is wonderful for the kick. You will probably have to make your own "set" of mics one at a time for the best results. Dont look at the big package and think that you can settle over quality. I know, Ive been there!

IMO Audix are usable. I have D2's which are good for toms, horns,
and hand percussion. The TR40 (omni) allthough a measurement mic is good for room and other duties. Ask Harvey..

The D-6 has come up twice with good reviews in this thread. Ive used the D-1 and D-3 a little, as well as the OM-1 and OM-3Xb.

Would anyone care to describe the characteristics of the D-6 for me? Im considering the Shure PG-52 or AKG D112.

How does it stack up against them? (for recording)

Cheers.

Back