what do I need

traw

I have a Grace101 and a Neuman TLM 103. So I was trying it out recording on a regular sound card but everyone told me to get a recording audio sound card so I got a RME hdsp 96/52 and after I got that I was stuck and needed a/d converter. So I just recently got a Apogee Rosetta 48k. What external plugs in what do I need to buy? Like High quality cables or what? I also got some monitors and I know these are not high quality cables cause they chained together so its like double mono so what do I need to get seperate stereo? Thanks.

You must be swimming in money.

Maybe go back to the store that sold you the most expensive microphone and one of the most expensive preamps they had in stock and ask them to show you how to use it. That would be of much more value to you than anything I could tell you on a BBS.

No im just serious about my craft. Once u stop playin wit it and making moves u would know bout that.

traw said:
I know these are not high quality cables cause they chained together so its like double mono so what do I need to get seperate stereo
I'm not even sure what you mean by that.

That's why I say you should get some face to face help setting this stuff up and figuring out what to buy next.

I didn't insult you, no matter how you took it, so don't think you need to get even with me by talking my craft down...

traw said:
I know these are not high quality cables cause they chained together so its like double mono so what do I need to get seperate stereo? Thanks.

ssscientist said:
I'm not even sure what you mean by that.

That's why I say you should get some face to face help setting this stuff up and figuring out what to buy next.

I didn't insult you, no matter how you took it, so don't think you need to get even with me by talking my craft down...

I think he means he has a stereo cable ... Double mono chained together ofcourse! LOL :D .

Really you have some pretty nice gear, but you have a lot to learn. At this point, no disrespect, but it sounds like you won't be able to take full advantage of your gear by the questions you ask. Most people here do take their crafts seriously, there's no need to question that.

For monitors you have a few options, most likely balanced cables (I have yet to see unbalanced monitors).

Something like 2 of these.... doesn't have to be Monster though, I prefer Mogami cables.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...-Link-500-Interconnect-TRS-M-TRS-M?sku=331684

Or 2 XLR to 1/4 cables. Make sure the rest of your cables are balanced through out your chain (if your gear is balanced).

Ya, looks like you got sold a sound card that was not practical for your use.

The RME hdsp 96/52 is good, but you still need a preamp for the mic. For $599 and then to buy a preamp, you're better off getting a MBox with preamps, and you can use the MBox with most software.

The Apogee Rosetta 48k is good quality... In terms of external plugins, do you mean hardware? For external hardware, you can get a high end preamp/ compressor. This will give you more control of your vocals from the front end of your system. In the software realm, you don't really need tons of external hardware processing... All the other processing can be done with plugins in your audio program.

Get a good quality mic cable. It does make a difference. You will get a hotter output and it will be grounded better. Something like Live Wire or Monster is good. You want all your cables going into your system to be of hight quality. Get the best cleanest recording from the font end as possible... And it seems you have done that with the mic and soundcard as of now...

"And remember, tools are useless if you don't know how to use them." This is what I've learned... If there is a top of the line studio with all the best gear and no good audio engineer working there. All that gear is useless. No one will go there... ;)

Back