What do I need to...

SamIam89

I have software to create midi files and I have a large format analog mixer. I want software that will take the midi and apply it to synthisized intruments. Then I'll need an interface that can send each channel of synthesized midi out into the anaog mixer so that I can mix it.

Could you please recommend:
snth software +
a compatable interface

Thank you!

First of all, here are links to two good articles on midi basics - part one and part two. They may be a little too basic for you, but we can all use a refresher course now and then...

Second, you probably haven't gotten a ton of replies because your question is kind of oddly phrased. Rather than a synthesizer you need a sequencer to play the midi files, then some soft synthesizers (synthesizers that reside wholly within the computer rather than in a keyboard or rackmount box) then finally an interface to get the midi files out of the computer and into the mixing board for mixdown.

Here's a link to the sequencer I use. It's called Tracktion, and you can download a working demo version. Tracktion comes with softsynths, but you can download more free ones here. You didn't specify a budget for the interface, but this gets good reviews here as does this. There are cheaper ones as well as more expensive ones with the cheaper ones going (typically) down in number of inputs and outputs.

Thank you. And I am sorry if my question was confusing - I wasn't exacty sure that if I was asking the right questions.

No prob. Feel free to post again if there's anything else that I either didn't cover or that comes up later on...

And welcome to the board.

You may consider a full blown audio/MIDI sequencer such as Cubase (or Traktion, Cakewalk Sonar), and you'll find that you'll probably relegate your analog gear soley to tracking duties (and an occasional outboard effect). Once you start mixing in software, it becomes difficult too want to give up that kind of power to go back to the old gear (but you should once in awhile just to keep your skills honed), and you may then consider getting a dedicated control surface for your software mixer.

Yeah, that would work and no, to my knowledge you can't double them up.

You should also consider this at the higher end, this in the midrange and this on the low end of the price scale.

If money is not an object, you can double these up for a total of 16 inputs, which is enough to record a large rock band or a small orchestra with a little submixing.

Back