What do i need to hook my Keyboard up to my mixer

onlydude

Sup people I have a keyboard and I want to connect to my computer through my mixer to use as a cheap synthesizer. Can I buy a midi to xlr cable and hook the xlr up to my mixer or do I need to buy a something special like having a di box for guitar recording? Please respond soon if you know anything about this issue from Personal Experience or if you Absolutely Know that something will work. This seems to be prety simple but I dont want to waste a lot of money on getting the wrong cords which I have done with numerous other equitment
Thanks

You wouldn't want to connect the MIDI output to an XLR input. It might make some kind of noise, but it wouldn't be pretty. Does your keyboard have an audio output, or is it strictly a MIDI controller?

Does the PSR 140 have a 1/8" headphone jack? You can probably get away with connecting that to the mixer using the kind of cable you would connect a portable CD player to a stereo system with. It has a 1/8" stereo plug on one end, and 2 RCA plugs on the other end. You might need to get adapters to go from the RCA plugs to 1/4" TS plugs. None of this is very expensive. Should be less than 10 bucks all together.

if you want strict midi then use the midi in/out on your keyboard into either midi in/out on your soundcard with a midi cable, or if you have a soundblaster card you can get a midi to gameport cable that'll also suit that purpose.

I would rather not go through the back of my soundcard because it is prety hard to get to with my set up. Is there any way to run it through my mixer or even usb port?

to get a midi signal in? not that i know of. if you're looking for a line signal then you can put it through your mixer no problem.

Wow I feal so stupid right now lol. Been a long ass week and havent got much sleep.

I just want to record my keyboard onto my computer. What is the easiest way that you recommend?

easiest way, just take a guitar patch cable ("1/4) from the keyboard into the mixer then take the highest quality option you have from mixer to PC soundcard.. whether that's "1/4 to "1/8 phono plug, "1/4 to RCA, etc.

Back