What do I need to buy...?

abbo69nz

Hey guys,

Im looking to start doing some recordings of my drum kit and was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction here,

I have a total of 9 mics that I want to utilize during recording, currently I have been plugging straight into my mackie profx22 mixer then via usb to my pc, which works fine
But I am looking to buy something that gives me more control over the sound, EG: a device that gives me control over each of the 9 seperate tracks, Everything I have come across so far only seems to have 4 or 6 or 8 inputs max,

Do you really need all nine mics?

As you say, most interfaces will have two to eight built in preamps.
Many of them will have extra connectivity, like ADAT IO for example.
Add a behringer ada800 to that and you have 8 more channels.

There are some 16 channel interfaces, but the only ones I can think of are in mixer format.

A lot of interfaces can be daisy chained so for example two firepods = 16 channels.

Alternatively, if you mixer has direct outs per channel, you could just buy converters.
Echo audiofire 12 has 12 channels, each line level.

I can't overstate the original question enough though. Do you really need nine channels for a kit?

I use a Motu 896HD. It has enough inputs that I can record a kit. It connects via firewire and I can control each track. I would just look for an interface that has enough inputs. I think 9 may be pushing it. You'll have better luck with 8 as far as finding an interface that size.

You can save a few more inputs if you don't mic every single piece of the kit. You can still get great sounds without all of that.

Check out the 'Mackie Onyx 1200F' my dream interface. has 12 mic preamps and plenty of AWESOME extra connectivity and features. This will perfectly suite your needs and then some.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Trout

Back