What do i need to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grubbytron

Hello everyone. I'm trying to get started recording pretty cheap at first, then upgrade later. Right now I just want enough equip to record using my midi keyboard, then later I'll get a mixer/preamp and record the guitars too. I have the Yamaha psr-275 midi keyboard which has voices. I'm not worried about real good finished sound quality, just so so. What about these items, would they work good together?

-Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 XL /
-OR Could I settle for Magix Music Studio 7 ($20 ebay), or is it a toy?
-Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Sound Card
-Midi cable

Another question is do all sequencer programs allow you to assign new sounds to the keys on your midi keyboard?

Thanks alot for your help. :)

If you wanna start cheap, then what your suggesting will be fine for starts.
Upgrade later when you need more functionality.
Not all programs have midi virtual instruments but you can get plug-ins (3rd party) for more sounds to trigger from midi.

grubbytron said:
Hello everyone. I'm trying to get started recording pretty cheap at first, then upgrade later. Right now I just want enough equip to record using my midi keyboard, then later I'll get a mixer/preamp and record the guitars too. I have the Yamaha psr-275 midi keyboard which has voices. I'm not worried about real good finished sound quality, just so so. What about these items, would they work good together?

-Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 XL /
-OR Could I settle for Magix Music Studio 7 ($20 ebay), or is it a toy?
-Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Sound Card
-Midi cable

Another question is do all sequencer programs allow you to assign new sounds to the keys on your midi keyboard?

Thanks alot for your help. :)

Hey I was pretty much where you are once. I've always owned great guitar equipment but when i started thinking of software for recording i figured I'd like to be able to do everything myself so I wanted to buy inexpensive gear to start... yamaha psr 292 keyboard.... yamaha 5 string bass......digitech BP200 bass pedal, I already owned my Alesis SR-16 drum machine. For a program I settled on Home Studio 2004 (not the XL). It kicks ass........ i can pretty much do everything i need a Program to do..... I use the sequencer to trigger my external MIDI devices....... use the DXi pluggins.... effects. A M-AUDIO MIDISPORT 2x2 allows me to run multiple midi devices via usb........ I am extremely happy with the choices I've made especially with Home Studio. Another thing you will want to think about is a good sound card M-Audio AUDIPHILE 2496 for example. I have sound audigy 2 zs platinum and I'm learning that although creative is a great card it is geared for gamers....... so I will be upgrading myself. Hope this is useful info to you. The only other thing I tell everyone is that like anything you need to learn the software, it's not just plugin and go.
Good Luck :D

Chris

Wow thanks for the help, guys. I had pretty much decided on HS 2004, it looks like the best app in the price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back