What do I do with a boarded up doorway???

Gorty

In the middle of the back wall in my studio I have a doorway that I have boarded up with 3/4 marine ply. I am going to be making a broadband absorber for the back wall which will cover the top half of the doorway.

I have an abundant supply of OC703, so would it be of any benefit to fill in the doorway? :confused:
I could get 4" of the OC703 in there which would bring it flush with the wall. I would then place my broadband absorber over this.

Any suggestions or thoughts on this???? :confused:

Thanx in advance!

You can see the depth I have that I could fill with OC703!!!

CopyofStudioTreatments028.jpg

Here's another shot of the doorway! The amp and Quad boxes are going to be re-located.

CopyofStudioTreatments025.jpg

Last edited:
true-eurt said:
I like the amp sitting recessed like that myself! :)

It is quite good like that. I need to have some absorption panels across the back wall though!

Gorty said:
It is quite good like that. I need to have some absorption panels across the back wall though!
How thick would the absorption material need to be, to be efficient r00?

Could you go less than the 4"?

true-eurt said:
How thick would the absorption material need to be, to be efficient r00?

Could you go less than the 4"?

Generally 2" is sufficient for absorption, however bass trapping requires 4" in general.
I will probably make a panel that will be approx 3 times as wide as the door frame and only down to the wood panelling.

What do you need in the room as far as treatment? You could make that into a basstrap, broadband absorber, or even a diffuser. Or, just cut back the casing and fill it with drywall and paint it. I'd be like it was never there.

Me? I'd probably build some sort of mic/cables storage and what not with it.

VSpaceBoy said:
What do you need in the room as far as treatment? You could make that into a basstrap, broadband absorber, or even a diffuser. Or, just cut back the casing and fill it with drywall and paint it. I'd be like it was never there.

Me? I'd probably build some sort of mic/cables storage and what not with it.

I need to have some treatment there seeing it is the middle of the back wall. I'm going to fill it with 4" of OC703 and put some Auralex over the top to make it look pretty! :)

Gorty said:
Generally 2" is sufficient for absorption, however bass trapping requires 4" in general.
I will probably make a panel that will be approx 3 times as wide as the door frame and only down to the wood panelling.
Are ya done yet r00?

:D

Back