What distinguishes a particular guitar's sound?

look, it's really simple......

doing these posts is like having an ongoing conversation with a whole bunch of different people all at one time....
maybe somebody leaves the room and comes back later....
but whatever they said before they left the room is still in the minds of everyone there..........

so ignoring everyone elses posts and making statements out of hand is like, kinda rude.....
so, on that issue, i guess we'll agree to disagree.

i reached the conclusion that i reached because usually, when someone asks these types of questions they are looking for a unique sound for themselves. this inevitably leads to a purchase. some people play with no intentions of raising the bar, they just play for fun. some play because they just have to, and it's on a different level.

i don't know about "interpreting tone" in a thread, i'm only trying to be helpful.
but the simple truth is, there's nothing you can really read, that will give you the answers you seek. there's only one way to figure out what YOU like, and that's to pick up an instrument and play it. one man's poison is anothers cure, and it's possible you simply don't like the answer. sorry. there's only one way here, and that's the long way.

The way i started was simply by finding out what kind of equipment the guy used that i happened to be into at the time.
but as i gained age and experience and wisdom (ha) i learned that some guys just had beautful tones on the same instruments that someone else made sound like absolute dogshit.

did anybody bother to ask, "what kind of music do you play?"
or how about, "who/what do you want your sound to be like?"

don't forget about mating an amp to whatever axe you end up getting.

Thanks for playing

Listen, it wasn't my intention to get a big ball of ugly rolling with this thread. All the suggestions, advice, and ideas presented about having the actual guitar in hand are points well taken, since I had that understanding prior to the discussion, too. So I appreciate all the comments and posts to this thread.

But I also discovered/remembered that the audio samples I was hoping to find do exist on the web. I went to www.sonicimplants.com and checked out their Les Paul Power Rock Guitar demo for a taste of an LP through a Marshall. It would be nice if they had a sample of a couple other guitars through the same amp, but whatever. It's not definitive by any means, but to me it's useful as a reference point.

Anyway, I think perhaps my original question never quite came out in this thread the way I intended, which is my own fault. Sorry if this has been a pain the ass for anyone; if it was, that wasn't my intention.

And Gonzo-X, let me add that I do not advocate ignoring posts to a thread. The comment Even made maybe would have been better worded as "nobody *else* said sight/sound unheard." Besides, Even admitted he probably overlooked the phrase in your post. At any rate, I don't believe in ignoring others' posts in a thread. If a discussion gets going between me and someone else, I take it out of the thread and do a PM.

Thanks, everyone.

beaverbiscuit

Dauget will build for you any of his guitars to your spec essp if you want to do something quite simple as specify a different bridge or pickup configuration.

i dont want to try and convince you i just wish you knew what i know about his guitars then you too would be crowing as i do about this french luthiers master works.

Ive been collecting and playing guitars for well over 15 years now i know no one on the net out there who will sell you a better made guitar at a price i know no one can match

do yourself the favour i would not recomend anyones guitars had i not know their history this guy is one of those rare finds he is in this for the love of it the money he makes just about covers materials and then he just gets by as it is

there is nothiing inferior about this mans work cutting corners is not a part of what he does its 100% quality all the way but in the end you got to know this and believe this before your going to part with your money point taken

anyway email him and see what he says you will never know unless you talk to him

one aother thing to add a bigbsy b5 set up right is awesome why would you want anything else this rogers guitars hold tune no problems there im awaiting delivery as we speak of one of his crestwood deluxe replicas

http://www.daguetguitars.com/index.htm

Hey trebles!

I think you might have intended for this reply to go in the other thread I started about custom guitars. I'm gonna reply over there, just so you know.

Back