What Direction(s) should I go?

nocarsgo

Hey!
So right now I'm at a place where I've saved up some money ($500-700) and was planning on buying a nicer condenser and SM7b (my current mic inventory includes an sm57, sennheiser e609 silver, and an AT2020). However I read a helpful article stressing the importance of things other than mics and preamps. Now I'd really like to get two nice mics, but with your guys experience (I imagine most of you are a lot better at recording than me), what do you think would best help my recordings with that money? I'm currently using an onyx 1640 w/ firewire mixer and I usually record acoustic/rock/ambient stuff (sorry if that doesn't help at all). I guess theres just so many options its overwhelming, even down to whether or not I should by a new speaker for my fender Blues Deluxe reissue to get a sound closer to what I want. So, what helped the most when you were first getting really going? I just really want ot be teachable. Thanks you guys, it means a lot.
-nocarsgo

.. So, what helped the most when you were first getting really going? I just really want ot be teachable. Thanks you guys, it means a lot.
-nocarsgo
When I built the gobos' and stuff for the front room where we mostly record was fairly big -and fairly cheep.
Great monitor speakers was a big step ($$$ :o )
A decent selection of mics, getting playback out of the Mackie (this was an older, 2408 not an Onyx though), gads so many things are incremental it's hard to put a finger on it.
In the mean time -experience! :)

When I built the gobos... Great monitor speakers...
A decent selection of mics, getting playback out of the Mackie (this was an older, 2408 not an Onyx though)
In the mean time -experience! :)
That sounds great. If you have opinions, keep them coming :D

I understand all to well about woes with mackie... I'm actually going to try to return mine tomorrow as I've had it for 4 months, and haven't heard it work once (bought it new). I've spent tons of hours trying to get it working (tech support from sweetwater, mackie, and help from you guys), and right now the engineers are just as confused as I am. So I suppose thats another question. I was looking at a RME fireface 800, but you guys may know a wiser step (if I can get a refund I would have 200-300 extra to spend).
-nocarsgo

Back