What Did I Do Wrong? (Tascam DP-008)

uhhuhhim

What Did I Do Wrong? (Tascam DP-008) - Solved

Ok, so I haven't used my DP-008 for about 5 years (probably the first problem).

Anyway, I decided to record an idea I had with it so I could send it to a friend to see what he thought.

What I thought would take about 10 or 15 minutes ended up taking about an hour.

I decided not to plug anything into the unit (and to just use the external microphones [A and B] for simplicity).

I recorded what I wanted, saved the song, connected the unit to my computer, but couldn't find a .wav of what I recorded.

So, I unhooked it, plugged it back in, turned it on and realized that I had to record a master track and export that to the partition of the unit in order for what I recorded to show up once I connected it to my computer.

I did that, and it showed up in the WAV folder once I re-connected it to the computer, but: I don't ever remember having to record a master track that had to exported to the partition on the memory card.

I recorded using Track 1 (input A mic) and Track 2 (input mic B) so that what I ended up with would be louder, but when I went to export the track later, I only saw two .wav files of recordings I did a few years ago.

Is this because I used both external mic inputs at once on two tracks simultaneously? Is that why I had to record a master track and export that to the partition on the memory card? It wouldn't let me export anything I recorded on Track 1 or Track 2 as a single .wav. What did I do wrong? :confused:

EDIT: Ok, I figured out what caused me to be so confused. The names of the .wav files that were already exported to the "wave" folder about a year ago had the EXACT same filenames as the .wavs listed in the "export track" menu for the loaded song -- so I ASSUMED that they were the .wav files I had already exported last time I used the unit and not what I had recorded earlier. They were there the WHOLE time.

I feel like a moron. However, the manual never mentions that the default names for saved tracks is always the same even if the song is different.

Oh well. There is something to be said for renaming tracks before exporting them!

At least I figured it out. Sorry to bother all of you!

uhuhhim

Last edited:
Back