What Device Do I Need to Remotely Reocord -Start-Stop

Muddy T-Bone

I Need some type device that I can remotely Record, start stop etc.

The distance to the PC would be no more than 20 ft.

Using Reaper, Lenovo S510P on Windows 8, and Presonus 44VSL.

If such a "box" exists, how does it connect to my gear?

Frontier Design Tranzport.

Iphone with control software (although I admit I don't know how you would do it with reaper and windows).

Maybe a bluetooth keyboard, I think you would need line of site for that though?

Midi keyboard with onboard transport controls and a long midi cable.

There are a few ways of doing it. I use cubase so it's an ipad and Cubase iC pro

Ipad / iPhone / another PC or laptop running Remote Desktop? Although it's a struggle to see the whole screen on the ipad it works fine, there are apps specifically for apple stuff.
It it's only 20 feet you could probably use a long stick :)

I have been using a $9 usb numeric keypad along with a $12 usb active 15-foot extender cable
(it is basically a 1-port usb active hub on a long cable)

Set the actions (play, rewind, save, etc) in Reaper for the keypad keys and you're set to go. Cheap.

I have a Tranzport and they are great but sadly now I think discontinued?

The cheapest solution and one that works extremely well is a $20 (prob' less) wireless keyboard and mouse. I have had one for years, bought two from PCWorld (till they FIUp!)
If you are PCsmart (not moir!) you can set shortcuts on the keypad and mark them up with Dymo. You can leave a conventional usb kbd and mouse still connected. N.B. The kbd battery lasts for ever but the mouse gets thru 2xaaa in short order. Use Lithies.

I would not recommend bluetooth because Audio and Wireless kit of that sort do not mix well. Usually to kill wireless modems for audio work. The "slow crap" they use for remote keys and mice seems different and innocuous.

FYI usb max cable length is 5mtrs but you could probably double that for simple ***t like kbds and meece. On the other hand usb 2.0 AIs can be VERY fussy. My KA6 will not work on anything past about 3mtrs except one particular cable and then only on W7.

I think MIDI is about the same but I have run it over 40mtrs of CAT 5e experimentally. More FYI!! You can get all sorts of adaptors usb, VGA, sound and vid, S/PDIF that will enable CAT5e runs up to 90mtrs in some cases.

Dave.

The iPad/iPhone solution may be best, because you can't really see your computer screen from 20 feet away. Even the wireless devices, you'll always be wondering 'did I hit record or not?'
Youcould just do what I've done - insert enough 'empty' space at the start of the recording so that you can hit 'record', then run over to the mic/instrument and be ready when the music starts. Stopping is no issue, you jst let it run and walk back over to hit stop. Edit out all the blank/un-needed space when you're done tracking.
Of course, this doesn't work with punching in/out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The iPad/iPhone solution may be best, because you can't relaly see your computer screen from 20 feet away. Even the wireless devices, you'll always be wondering 'did I hit record or not?'
Youcould just do what I've done - insert enough 'empty' space at the start of the recording so that you can hit 'record', then run over to the mic/instrument and be ready when the music starts. Stopping is no issue, you jst let it run and walk back over to hit stop. Edit out all the blank/un-needed space when you're done tracking.

Ah well! I have a wireless keyboard on a 32" Sony Bravia so I can certainly see that at 20feet!

Dave.

Ah well! I have a wireless keyboard on a 32" Sony Bravia so I can certainly see that at 20feet!

Dave.

For recording/mixing? How far away from your desk do you have to sit for mixing? :eek: Or do you just shrink the mixer to partial screen?

I'm using TeleKeyPad Lite. This is an app for Android phone or tablet that gives you a numeric keyboard on your smartphone or tablet over Wi-Fi, which should be enough for start,stop, play and record, or go to markers. I'm pretty sure there are similar apps for IOS devices as well.

I use a bluetooth mouse in a similar situation, with Ableton Live. I prepare the software to record before I get seated, then just click start and stop from my seat. Works well so far.

George

The iPad/iPhone solution may be best, because you can't really see your computer screen from 20 feet away. Even the wireless devices, you'll always be wondering 'did I hit record or not?'

I get it now. A few recommends about a Bluetooth keyboard, and I'm thinking the one with black and white keys? And I'm thinking, How the heck will that help me? No, stupid the QWERTY kind, got it now.
As to empty space, that's what I've been doing since day one.
It gets tiresome for me quick. My creative side is not turned on that often, and my time is extremely limited, so when I' m FEELIN IT I need to move fast, get my tracking in and move on to the next take.

I personally just use a separate monitor from my MOBO with a 'Y'cable that controls my first screen (video card controls the other two monitors) and a wireless mouse. It works fairly well from 20'. The monitor split does loose clarity and color but the wireless mouse works through the steel fire door between the drum room and control room. When I don't have need for the control room screen, I just run the 20' extension directly to the drum room monitor and it is as clear as the original. A 30' extension cable did not work so well. Tried a VGA amplifier and it did not work at all. Though it was a $15 cheap attempt.

I personally just use a separate monitor from my MOBO with a 'Y'cable that controls my first screen (video card controls the other two monitors) and a wireless mouse. It works fairly well from 20'. The monitor split does loose clarity and color but the wireless mouse works through the steel fire door between the drum room and control room. When I don't have need for the control room screen, I just run the 20' extension directly to the drum room monitor and it is as clear as the original. A 30' extension cable did not work so well. Tried a VGA amplifier and it did not work at all. Though it was a $15 cheap attempt.

50-10250 - -- - VGA CAT5 BALUN, PC SIDE | CPC

Not tried those ^ but their video/stereo audio CAT 5 products work extremely well.
They do quite a range of CAT 5/5e converters, S/PDIF, HDMI (needs 2 cable runs).

Also...http://www.miniinthebox.com/2-port-...rds_shopping&gclid=CJSl9Ij63LwCFRDLtAodpDsAZA

And you can pick up monitors from charity shops (I use B Heart Foundation) for about £12 up depending on size.

Dave.

Last edited:
I'm using TeleKeyPad Lite. This is an app for Android phone or tablet that gives you a numeric keyboard on your smartphone or tablet over Wi-Fi, which should be enough for start,stop, play and record, or go to markers. I'm pretty sure there are similar apps for IOS devices as well.

I looked up qwerty keyboard in the iOS app store and there are a dozen or so. Not one had a CTRL button, so it looks like I couldn't use CTRL+R to record.

Last edited:
Back