What DB level is the right DB level

pepsifx357

I have a hard time trying to figure out what is the right decibel level for everything tracks, mixes, and mastering. I figure 0 would be it but I'm not quite sure where the breaking point is. When I record a snare drum track or kick drum track it may go to +1.2 DB but it doesn't clip, or is it clipping and I don't know. It's the same thing with everything else. Can anyone give me a good explenation. And if I record something that is far from loud should it be normalized? I usually normalize everything that has a quiet background(Noiseless) is this stupid?

Are you recording on analog or digital?

Normally, i give 3db to 9db headroom for any instrument or vox that i recorded. i won't be crazy to go for 0db while tracking. But i know some AEs track at -18DBfs or -15DBfs. Reason is, 0dbVU is approximately around -18DBfs.

Well, mastering should be shooting for 0db or -0.1db

Headroom is GOOD room. Work *where the gear is designed to work* and you can't go wrong.

Tracking - Individual tracks should have the "meat" of the signal at 0dBVU. Depending on the preamp, that'll be somewhere between -22 and -18dBFS or so, with occasional peaks slightly higher. Fast transients (snare, etc.), keep a little more room in there and look for peaks no higher than around -12dBFS or so.

This is how the system was designed to work, this is how it's done "downtown," ideal signal, best clarity, best focus, ideal S/N ratio, etc., yada, yada, yada.

If you track properly, the mix should almost take care of itself as far as levels are concerned - Most faders right at unity, you can expect a mix to not need the attenuation that a "hot-tracked" mix would need. A double positive - Easier to mix - Better sounds to mix from.

I disagree with staring to a point also - Mastering shouldn't be "shooting for" anything except the best sound. 10+ years ago, I really didn't even pay attention to the final level. If it was -2 or -0.2dBFS, it's not like I was going to normalize it to gain something that no one was going to notice. It wasn't worth it. But by "today's" standards, I suppose and admit that most projects coming out of here are whacking -0.5dBFS regularly.

Either way - Keeping that headroom at every stage of the game is *so* dreadfully important, I can't even imagine where the "get your levels as hot as you can" train of thought came from (obviously not from listening to the results).

Most people are going to use up all of their headroom during mastering anyway - Use it up ONCE - Not at every chance you get. Your mixes will be more dynamic, more punchy, more open, LOUDER in almost all cases - There is no down side. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Back