What DAW (PC/MAC) Software do you use?

TheRealWaldo

What software do you use for multi-tracking/recording? What formats do you save in?

I figured this would be the best place to post this, if not, let me know, I'll move it.

W.

ProTools LE 5.3.1

I save it to WAV format and then convert to MP3 (using VBR).

WATYF

(p.s. The Computer/Soundcard forum might be a better place, but this'll do too, I reckon.)

Currently...

Pro Tools LE 5.3.2 on PC.

Audio files are all 24/44.1 .wav files. Final mixes are saved as stereo 24/44.1 wav files, trimmed in Wavelab and burned to MP3.

Still working the kinks out. I tried to press a tune from PT all the way to MP3 while gabbing on the phone with me ladyfriend (i.e. flying "blind"- no listens at the different stages) and the MP3 sounded like doggy-doo. Shockingly bad. Redoing it now, so this thread has interesting timeing.

Take care,
Chris

I use a pc...asus motherboard 333 front side bus thingy....amd xp1900+ overclocked to 2 ghz and 1 gig of ddr ram.

I'm one of the minions of cakewalk...they have subliminal messaging in their track screens

I use 2.o XL...record at 24/44.1 as well....use default cakewalk mp3 converter.

Its like a swiss army knife...it has so much crap in it.

Right now Logic24 (came with my soundcard)...but it's time to upgrade to something with grandeur.... probably Sonar 2.0XL.

On the PC I'm running Cakewalk pro Audio 9 and Vegas to edit multitrack and SoundForge5 for two track. All .wavs (24/44.1).

Tascam 788 portastudio

I don't record with my computer, but I import the mix into Sonar from a CD, and add some Waves stuff.. like an L1 preset.. I don't like computers for the actual recording.. (maybe because they don't like me)

Attachments

• 788.jpg
    788.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 205
Hardware = PC (see attached pic...Inputs on the front RULE!)

software = COOL EDIT PRO 2.0

Attachments

• pc blaster.jpg
    pc blaster.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 199
Oh yeah...I use primarily .wav files, and AIFF files, depending on whom I'm working with.

Everything is done in "32" bit float (which is really 24 bit) until mixdown to CD format and/or mp3.

Sonar 1.31 for multitracking. (I own 2.0 but haven't installed it on my DAW yet).

After mixing in Sonar, I export the multitrack files to a 24-bit/44.1 wave which I finalize in Wavelab using mostly Waves plugins.

Final step is to dither down to 16 bits using the Waves L1 in Wavelab, and save the finished file as a 16 bit/44.1 wave file ready for burning to CD or exporting to an .mp3 as needed.

Why the question, Waldo?

I havent used any computerbased software yet and it shows in my mixes.I use a Fostex VF 16 to record and mix. 44.1khz/16bit

Last edited:
The question is for research purposes... I'm putting together a tool that I think you all will find very, very useful, to be released with NWR4. To make it even better, I'm looking into leading products to 'integrate' it with to make it easier to use.

P.S., ChrisHarris: CoolEdit Pro is already supported by the system, it was the first one I worked on ;)

W.

PC with Cubase 3.7r2 : A/D D/A Gina 20bit - but I mix externally on a Promix 01 cause the cubase mix engine sucks... just did another test yesterday to remind myself.

Have toyed with upgrading to cubase SX but can't justify it when I'm quite happy with what I got. By the way in never ever crashes.

Back