what could be causing this.. (sample mp3)

jcnoernberg

I have been getting this distortion/clicks n pops/static in my recordings for a while. Even just recording a single track it happens. It goes off and on so I'm almost positive it's on the computer/software end. I have a clip link listed below, can someone check it out? Someone with more experience can probably pin it right down. I've been doing everything I can to optimize for recording including: doubled ram to 512mb, have no non-audio programs installed, disabled all unnecessary services, and still get the pops. I'm recording at 44.1 kHz, 16 bits. Is it a slow hard drive? Some sort of interrupt problem?

I use...

Compaq Presario 2100 notebook (1.6 GHz Celeron, 512mb ram, xp home)
motu 828 firewire interface

The sample I have was recorded via the phantom powered line in using a condenser mic. I can't seem to go much higher than about 30% gain without the distortion.

10 second clip, distorted at about half way

The one thing for me that always caused clicks and pops was having the video card's irq the same as the audio interface. Just happened to me a few months ago when I installed a new motherboard and processor. Changed that and was back in business.

yeah, check soundcard/hardwhere set up.

perhaps check the MOTU website for "my recordings clip/pop!" etc...

also, may I suggest: bad cord?

isnt it strange that the static goes along with the music, sort of? If it were a bad cord there would be no coorelation. i've tried switching inputs with no luck. what is irq? interrupt request? i've had no experience with adjusting such settings. can anyone recommend help or a website? Thanks.

It sounds quite a bit like pollution in your electricity. Are there any other devices that run on the same circuit [share a breaker] such as a refrigerator, TV,stereo,washer?

ac pollution? I don't think that would cause this. I do a lot of portable recoridng and have had the same problem in at least three different locations. I've heard of a other motu users complaining of "scratchy" pots. Could this be causing a problem? Like I said before, I seem to get the problem a lot at higher preamp-levels. I'll have to open it up and see how hard it would be to maybe install a new pot. Might be more of a pain than it's worth. Anyone know of a good way to test the pot by itself?

Back