What changes when you select small or large reel on a Teac 3440?

jviss

Just wondering - does anyone know what changes when you select small or large reel on a Teac 3440? If I use a plastic reel with prerecorded music that is a large arbor reel, should I select small or large reel? (Especially since I am using a 10.5" reel for takeup?)

Thanks,

jv

I don´t really know but it might be just for the tape counter (if that´s what it´s called ... the four-digit number trying to help you find the right location on the tape)

I believe that the supply motor tension changes (the one on the left) in order to keep the tape tight against the heads, more for the large reel, less for the small. In a nutshell, the back tension changes when small / large reel is selected. :)

I believe that the supply motor tension changes (the one on the left) in order to keep the tape tight against the heads, more for the large reel, less for the small. In a nutshell, the back tension changes when small / large reel is selected. :)

That's right.

Thanks. My intuition on considering this is that the torque should decrease for the large reel, since the hub is bigger, for the same tension on the tape; why does it seem opposite to me?

And, I would assume then that if you have a 7" reel with a large arbor, you should treat it as a large reel for this purpose, no?

Back