What can you tell me about the SM58?

It is the standard issue live performance mic, but not really the best for recording. It will work in a pinch or if that's all you got, but you are not gonna be very impressed by it (probably).

TravisinFlorida said:
it sounds kind of dull, blanketed to me. i would'nt use it for recording vocals.

My personal opinion is the same, but amazingly others will disagree. I just don't get it, I never really was a big fan live either...

War

The Beta 58 can be a good recording mic for the right voice. But, yeah, the 58 is much more suited to live applications.

Warhead said:
My personal opinion is the same, but amazingly others will disagree. I just don't get it, I never really was a big fan live either...

War

Same here concerning live use. I own two, which I never use for anything.

ratamaster said:
Hi you there
Can you tell me about your experinces with the shure sm58 for vocal recording

thanks

ratamaster
I have an SM58, and an AT4040, and the 4040 is much easier to capture a good sound with. The 58 seems to capture a sound that seems distant, unless you use it really close to your mouth. The 4040, with a DMP3, seems to have a good, clean sound, even from 2 feet away.

Just my opinion, and these are the only 2 real mics I have to use....

Dogman said:
I have an SM58, and an AT4040, and the 4040 is much easier to capture a good sound with. The 58 seems to capture a sound that seems distant, unless you use it really close to your mouth. The 4040, with a DMP3, seems to have a good, clean sound, even from 2 feet away.

Just my opinion, and these are the only 2 real mics I have to use....

I agree with this. You have to get right up on the sm58 to get a good signal. I suppose that's just the way it was designed, to reject all other sounds/noises. To me, it just does'nt pick up enough detail in a vocal, especially for recording.

but for mic eaters.

its great.. it sounds well when shoved down a throat and unlike the SM57 it has that protective ball on top to ensure the mic is not completely lost to one's own or one's client's digestive system. so if the sound of stomach acid churning is what you want this mic will do very very well!

well it sounds okay and it is built like a fucking cow head if you ask me. it's about real-world results and it's for working class people who make cheap ass records because they love to. it's not for people who want to sound like gay assholes with a million dollars.get over yourselfs

I for one love the sm58, both in studio and Live.
I`ve used it for vox for years, tried it on guitar amps with nice results, also mice drums with it.
splendid mike, but thats just my opinion though :)

I would just buy a SM57 if you are interested in an SM58. I keep hearing they a pretty much the same mic, just without the huge grill. Then you have something you can throw on vocals, guitar, snare drums, bass drum, and probably horns (I've recorded a sax with a SM57 and it wasn't horrible sounding).

The Sm58 Is Great For Live Vocals Because You Can Work It Close Up And Its Loud , But For Studio You Need A Condenser For Vocals Bottom Line.

NathanEldred said:
I think it and the SM-57 are both overrated.

Overated? What other mic (sm57) will do about the best job on a guitar cab,snare,leslie 145,toms if needed, vocals all for under $90.00 new? :confused:

SM57 & SM58 are both great for cabs and all kinds of other stuff both live and in the studio and they will work for studio vocals in a pinch . A lot depends on the style of music and the singer. I heard Metallica did a whole album with 57's for that style and noise level they could get away with it.To really do vocals right in the studio you need a condenser mike.

The sound of vocals thru an SM58 is sometimes EXACTLY the right sound needed for a particular voice in a given context/application. I've had singers who sounded like crap thru various condensers but it all came into focus slapping up a 58.

It's not about "XY mic sounds like shit so I don't use it...", it's about using the right mic for the right voice. Sometimes a Radio Shack mic IS the best mic for the job....

Back