What can I do to improve my set-up

raywon

Studio 1784
This is my set-up:

• ASUS Lap top X200CA - 6 gig Ram
• Sound card- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface
• Mic- AKG Perception 420
• Mixer- Mackie 1202 VL24 12 channel
• Music Software- Sonar X1 producer, Sound Forge 10, Fruity Loops for making instrumentals
• Monitors- Fostex 8” 3 way
• Headphones- Semheiser HD Pro closed back
• Compressor- dbx 1074 QuadGate

Thanks!!!!!

Generically you should start reading acoustic treatment and such. That is where you will the most bang for your buck. Look at the thread and you will find much information there.

Assume you are just recording vocals with the mic, since you mention creating instrumentals with Fruity Loops.

Dave is correct: acoustic treatment of your recording and mixing space(s). There is no room that won't benefit from some broadband absorbant panels (bass traps).

Yes I'm just recording vocals, I use the bathroom to record and heavy duty blankets over the door and shower rod.

Yes I'm just recording vocals, I use the bathroom to record and heavy duty blankets over the door and shower rod.

Improvement #1: find a better room than the bathroom.
Improvement #2: as previously recommended, put some adequate treatment in the new room.

Forget the booth thing. The larger the space you record vocals in the better. Treat the whole room.

Bass traps. In the corners. Do some reading in the 'Studio building and acoustic treatment' section of these forums.

I had to laugh when I read you were using the bathroom (tiles, flutter echo - 'natural reverb') then putting blankets on the walls and shower rod to tame that same reverb. Think about that.

Small rooms (vocal booth!) typically do not give good sound compared to a well-treated larger room.

Last edited:
the thing that helped me most is actually getting some decent eq, compression and reverb plugins. I record in a small closet so I lose a lot of the sound and not only that, the closet doesn't really close so I get some weird sounding echoes sometimes. but good plugins can help to mask a bad recording situation.

Forget the booth thing. The larger the space you record vocals in the better. Treat the whole room.

the thing that helped me most is actually getting some decent eq, compression and reverb plugins. I record in a small closet so I lose a lot of the sound and not only that, the closet doesn't really close so I get some weird sounding echoes sometimes. but good plugins can help to mask a bad recording situation.

Does this sound like contradictory advice?
IMHO, Jimmy is shooting you straight. Get a big space, treat it properly, get your mic in the center of the room and sing into the mic! Good signal=good recording. Don't try to fix singing into your sweaters and coats with plugs. Corrected bad signal=meh.

I know this is HOME recording, and my "studio" is a joke, but try to get the best space you can. If the closet is all you have, use the closet. Just don't expect great results...

Record it well to start with and you won't be struggling to find a way to make it "sound better".

The room situation being addressed and depending on your budget, you might want to consider a good preamp, although the preamps in your interface are not bad. Or, perhaps an upgrade in your microphone. Although, IMHO, you're on the right track with a LDC if the mic is used for everything. The Shure KSM 44 (or KSM 44a) is an incredibly good vocal and instrument mic in the upper-mid price range ($1000). That is, if the sticker price doesn't scare you. You can pick one up used for around $600-$700. If you can afford both a good tube preamp and mic, along with your room upgrades, you're well on the way to having a great studio.

Tom

Back