What bass sound is missing in my mix?

athrun200

I am now transcribing a BGM which consist of 2 parts.
The first part begins with solo flute + piano
The second part contains whole bunch of instruments, very orchestral sound.

It is the second part I can't get it right.
I have already added the following to the second part:
1. Solo violin
2. orchestral string
3. section cello
4. flute
5. piano

Yet, I still cannot reproduce the dramatic sound in the original version.
It sounds like I am still missing something in the bass.

The first track below is the original BGM
The second track is my reconstruction.

Well, the original sounds like it has some decent bottom end in the piano & either the bass or cello is being bowed slowly and quite low. I can't hear either in your mix.

I tried very hard to figure out the bass notes for the whole afternoon in vain.:facepalm:
Any tips for transcribing the bass? I really wish the bass is as "stand out" as the melody.

Add a solo cello (or possibly contra or double bass) to boost the bass. The notes in the bottom are never easy to "hear", but often make the flow of the music different if they are missed.
The original is still very midi sounding, so I'm assuming it is. That means someone has done an excellent job of scoring. You will get this, just give it some time and patience! :)

The original is still very midi sounding, so I'm assuming it is. That means someone has done an excellent job of scoring.
I am a little bit confused about the two sentences.
The sound being midi usually means the sound is not good enough.
But why do you say they have done an excellent job of scoring?

Scoring (to me) is writing notes on a piece of paper to create music. It has nothing to do with the sound of the instruments. Great scoring does not indicate great performance, but great scoring sounds good even in midi. :)
Hope that makes it clearerer.
FWIW, unless you need to score the piece exactly as scored (at which point I would look into getting a copy of the original score) I would make the piece my own and write it how I like it...

Oh I see. I totally get it now.
It looks like the composer hasn't publish the original score, that's why I am doing the transcription now and practicing my sound controlling skill at the same time.
If I still cannot get the bass notes, I am going to compose the later half by myself.

Thanks for your advice, I have learnt a lot.

There's a bass playing an octave below the cello to my ear and also some arpeggioed bass chords in the piano part..

Back