what are your software opinions?

timnmelinda

judging software or what do you like?

I hear everyone here say how great this is then others slam it for a learning curve, stating it doesnt make sense, or is too nonintuitave. Next someone will be promoting their choice of software because someone else has asked for reccomendations, then of course that person also gets slammed for stating the product that they find good or believe in.

Bottom line simple vocals, guitar/bass, synth and or soft synths there are many people wishing to get started, yet wondering where and how to start.So now put your knowledge to work blank product is easy to learn and good for this, this, and this, or blank sucks it crashes or is really a pain in the ass to figure out if you are new too this and trying to learn,

Come on people you all have started with something knowing nothing, share your experiences, what is it good for, is it hard to get running and do something with, are you happy or do you (or have you moved to something else( this is newbies section share your thoughts for those of us trying to figure this stuff out and join in! We are often newbies, but we are enthusiastic and wish to learn, there are so very many choice it is or can belike being a kid in a candy store trying to pick. Also allthough some software allows free trials, some does not, those of us with small budgets can use help from those of you having past mistakes or success. I think I have made up my mind what direction I am going to try out first for my Pc based recording, I am really interested in what you are using, why you are using it, what is good or bad about it. This info may sway me to start in another direction but it should prove informative, perhaps interesting for many and besides this section once again is for newbies so it really may help alot of people

Last edited:
i have acid pro 4.0. you can't record to multiple tracks simulateously, but you can do multiple tracks going into a mixer, then out to 1 track in the software. or, you could record each track separately. it's pretty simple, in my opinion, and works for simple multitrack recording. it costs about $100, however. there are some free programs like Tracktion which are setup similarly, but i have little experience with most of them.

I'm a big fan of cakewalk. I bought "Home Studio" years ago and was very pleased. I've continually upgraded and now have Sonar 4. They have not at all been buggy (for me at least) and are fairly easy to use. It does EVERYTHING you mentioned and much more. You can get their Home Studio edition for under a $100. Check out www.cakewalk.com. I think they even have a trial edition for download. Good luck!

timnmelinda-

First- Mac or PC?
I've never used Mac so I can't comment on their options.

On the PC, for audio and MIDI recording there are two major players Cakewalk and Steinberg. Steinberg is being aquired by Yamaha so it's anybody's guess what's in their future.

Cakewalk's flagship is SONAR, Steinberg has Nuendo and also Cubase SX. Personally, I've always been a Cakewalk user and I've always been satisfied with their products and especially their service and reasonable approach to copy protection. Cubase and Nuendo have many, many fans and I'm sure they are both excellent programs. Both vendors offer lower level programs that allow you to start inexpensively and upgrade in the future.

Other programs that have their fans are Powertracks from PG music (simply look up any post from Manning1 to learn more), N-tracks and Tracktion. I haven't used any of these, though I'll probably download Tracktion since it's free through the end of the year.

Other programs like FL Studio, Ableton Live and Acid, offer audio recording, but it's not their forte, still, with each new version, the lines between all of these programs become more blurred. The looping programs add MIDI and audio, the audio programs add looping and MIDI, the MIDI programs add audio and looping. Plug-in support is appearing in all of them, etc, etc.

Honestly, if you take a little time and visit the different forums on this board you should learn a great deal. Then download the demos for the different programs that pique your interest and visit their sites. All of the programs can accomplish a great deal. it really comes down to work flow and the user interface. As you've already noticed, what one person feels is an impenetrably complicated UI another thinks is completely intuitive. Vive le diference!

Ted

Starting with nothing more than a computer and the desire to record, yep we were all there at one time. So many choices, limited budget, features you need, so much to consider. I wish I had known what I'm about to share a couple of years ago, it would have saved me a couple of hundred bucks and a lot of frustration. First, there are download sites where you can download trial versions of most recording/mixing software, these are great as you can actually see how these programs work, some are easy and some are pretty complicated, try several and find one that you like before you spend the money for it. Another good idea is to download Audacity, its a totally free recording program and is great for learning the basics of computer recording, I don't say it's the best for final use as your main recording program but it is really good for learning the basics, and the process is similar in most other programs. Don't get hung up on brand names, they are all good, just find the one that best suits your needs, learn it well and use it, but by all means try a few before setteling down to any one, when you find the one that is right for you, you'll know it.

I'd send you in a different direction and suggest if you are just starting out with recording then try a 4 or more track tape recorder. Learn the basics with it, invaluable IMHO. If nothing else that will give you a solid foundation and understanding of what's going on with your audio and sound.(not saying this can't be done going digital off the bat) Later on jump into the digital realm if you like. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Back