What are your favorite lead guitar breaks?

mawtangent

The lead guitar breaks that will stick in my mind forever are in "Another Brick in the Wall", "Hotel California", "Sultans of Swing", "Beat It" (yes, Eddie Van Halen on the Michael Jackson song), and "I Did My Best" (by Soul Asylum)...I would like to hear what others chose as songs containing thier favorite lead guitar breaks (Forgive me if this topic has been done to death already)

Elliot Easton's (The Cars) "My Best Friend's Girlfriend" solo is pretty awesome.

Jimi Hendrix.....

Ritchie Blackmore's solo on "Kentucky Woman" is something else.

Jeff Beck...... Hmmmmm..... too many great solos.

Hmmmm..... Tom Morello.....Audioislave......So many well chosen notes.

James Burton solo On "Las Vegas" by Gram Parsons is scary.

If ya wanna hear scary clean tones at lighting speed listen to Jerry Reed's
"Jerry's Breakdown".

There's so much great guitar out there.

One last favorite..... Paul McCartney's solo on "Taxman".

I'm getting out of hand here.

Bye

Hmmm interesting topic

I'd have to say...
The breaks in Phish's "Divided Sky" and "Limb by Limb (Austin City Limits)"
...controlled feedback, arpeggios and blues with character...what's not to like?

Also, John Mayer's solo on "Wheel" is frickin great. So fat and juicy on that prs hollowbody...

mawtangent said:
The lead guitar breaks that will stick in my mind forever are in "Another Brick in the Wall", "Hotel California", "Sultans of Swing", "Beat It" (yes, Eddie Van Halen on the Michael Jackson song), and "I Did My Best" (by Soul Asylum)...I would like to hear what others chose as songs containing thier favorite lead guitar breaks (Forgive me if this topic has been done to death already)

Well... you certainly picked some classics. I'd definitely agree with Sultans of Swing, Hotel California, and Beat It as being in the top 10 of all time.

If I had to add to that I'd pick: Texas Flood (SRV), No One Like You (Scorpions), and Crossroads (Cream).

Hmmm....

I'd say to be in the all time top 10 it's gotta be a guitar solo that most people (including non-guitar players) know. It's got to have a general public awareness. Given that, I'd have to include Clapton's leads on While My Guitar Gently Weeps as well. Here's what my complete list would look like so far (In no particular order):

Beat It (EVH)
Sultans of Swing (Knopfler)
Hotel California
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
No One Like You
Texas Flood
All Along the Watch Tower

Nuno Bettencourt's solo on the Extreme song "Rest In Peace" is a must listen... it's awesome and tone-a-licious!

Michael Schenker's solo in "Love To Love" by UFO... it's just beautiful.

Ted Nugent's solo in "Stranglehold" is still an amazing piece of work.

Just about anything Joe Walsh ever solo'd on is great stuff.

Knopfler... anything he ever played.

The guitar break in the Sugarloaf song "Green Eyed Lady" (long version) is stellar.

Carlos Santana's solo on "Open Invitation"

Larry Carlton on Steely Dan's "Kid Charlemagne"

Elliot Randall on Steely Dan's "Reelin' In The Years"

This list could go on forever...

One of my favorites has always been Stevie Rays 'Cold Shot' solo - though it's probably not his best known. It has such a cool groove with those chord bends and slides that fit the song perfectly..

Oh, and...all the great one's already mentioned - there's just too many!!

Jim

Jerry's lead on "Scarlet Begonias" from the 12/31/78 Closing Of Winterland.

And Phil drops the bomb on that one too.;)

The solos of the Beatles' 'The End;' Day Tripper; You Never Give Me Your Money; Hard Day's Night;
PF: Money; Time; Have a Cigar;
Doors: Peace Frog; Roadhouse Blues;
Anything by Hendrix, but especially 'All Along the Watchtower' and 'Wind Cries Mary;'
Deep Purple: 'Smoke on the Water;' 'Lazy;'

Many, many others.

:cool:

the talk box solo on Steely Dan's "Haitian Divorce" perfectly elicits the tone of an illicit affair. :eek: The solo sounds like sex!

I think it may have been Walter but possibly Dean Parks, Larry Carlton, etc... :D

Listen for:

Now, we dolly back... Now, we faaaaade to black...."

Buck62 said:
Larry Carlton on Steely Dan's "Kid Charlemagne"

Elliot Randall on Steely Dan's "Reelin' In The Years"

Hey Buck, I'm up for either of these at Jam fest if you wanna rehearse em! :D

Charlemagne was the first solo I ever learned. I like it the recorded way, though. None of that pussy Alive in America version.

The list "is" endless. So much.....so tasty.

Larry Carlton......mmmmmm.......Room 335

Then on the other side.....

I liked the solo on "Teen Spirit".....

Sound Garden......

stonepiano said:
Hey Buck, I'm up for either of these at Jam fest if you wanna rehearse em! :D

Charlemagne was the first solo I ever learned. I like it the recorded way, though. None of that pussy Alive in America version.

I haven't tried Kid Charlemegne before, but Reelin' In The Years is no problem.

I wouldn't mind doing Don't Take Me Alive... I know that one pretty well.

Any or all of them is fine with me. :)

Unfortunately, I can't read tab, just the chords.

I've been playing by ear for nearly 30 years! :eek:

Not to worry, though... I'm a fairly quick learner.

Back