What are the best CDR's to use for making a MASTER with a CD recorder

asphyxia30

hi great boffins!

ive just got a marantz cdr630 pro cd recorder and wa wondering what is the best quality CDR to use and if possible a website link that sells them. preferably in the uk

ive heard i should use gold cdr's ?

any help would be cool as!

peace.

Back when CD-R writers were more finicky about Media and such I use to ALWAYS use Taiyo Yuden Microboards. Everyone said they were the best. Here's an example...
http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-dvd-r-media.html?gclid=CKTBve7rqpkCFRFMagodoB0upQ
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taiyo-Y...Lacquer-25-Disc-Spindle-104607098-i1384439.gc

Since that time I started using just plain old Office Depot (silver face) CD-Rs and haven't had any problems. It started when I got a 100 pack for something like $10 on a Mega Sale Day. Thought they'd be good for Mixing and throw away Discs. They ended up working pretty good.

All that said... if your worried about quality, go w/ Taiyo Yuden.

Good Luck,
B.

Taiyo Yuden are the de facto standard.

Avoid Chinese discs... A lot of the "specials" are of Chinese MFG. Horrible QC most of the time.

And watch out when looking to create a "master" disc with a stand-alone recorder... Few are actually capable of the task.

It's also good to note that Taiyo Yuden also manufactures CD-Rs under different brand names for different brands as well.

I have found generally that you can't go very wrong with any brand recommended by the manufacturer of the burner; they almost always have specific brand recommendations in their manuals, and sometimes even have anti-recommendations ("we recommend you do NOT use blahblahblah...").

Stick with those recommendations, stuck with discs rated to handle the burner's top burn speed or better (even if you do not burn that fast), and try not to push the disc to more than 90% of it's rated capacity unless you need to, and you should be OK.

G.

... What John said.

Plus .. it's tough to know what combination of burner/discs works without doing some testing with the likes of Plextools or a Clover reader to see what kind of error rates you're getting. Taiyo Yudens with Plextor burners have served me well for years, and seems to be a well-liked combination among colleagues too.

I used to get Mitsui Golds years ago when my local supplier had them, and they worked well with the Yamaha burner I had at the time, but I don't know how easy they are to find anymore, nor have I done any tests to see how they stack up against plain ol' TY's.

-dave

Back