What are some hardware and software combos?

sonicpaint

Hey everyone! I have been thinking about getting a hardware and software combo recording unit. I know Pro Tools is more than well known but are their others? If so I'd like to here about them. If you have a Pro Tools setup of something in the "pro" range please fill me in on the good and bad points of your hardware and software combo configuration.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated?
Thanks!!

Most of the Hardware comes with a lite version of software (or) a crap software. Motu comes with Audio Desk for mac, Pro tools comes with LE. Even M audio comes with some extra softwares. I would prefer to buy seperate hardware and software as long as the driver works good.

Pro Tools:
Pros- easy to use, even "cheap" PT setups sound good, even "cheap" PT setups can export sessions to "pro" studios for mixing or additional work, latest release of LE supports more than 32 tracks (but only 32 voices), can now use hardware with other recording programs (via ASIO driver.) Superb tech support and service, now supports rewire.

Cons- Pro Tools LE systems are almost completely un-upgradeable, TDM systems are expen$ive! LE systems are limited to 32 voices. Only works with its own hardware and can't be used without it, only uses RTAS plugins, somewhat limited MIDI features.

The other software I've used,

Cubase SX:
Pros- Wow! Lots of features: surround mixing, unlimited audio and midi tracks, customizeable mixer, includes some usuable VST instruments (software synthesizers), works with just about any audio interface, can use both VST and DX plugs, supports rewire, great MIDI features.

Cons- expensive program that doesn't include audio interface.

n-Track:
Pros- cheap, full-featured, excellent support from developer, unlimited tracks. VST and DX plugs. Works with most audio interfaces.

Cons- less stable, no rewire.

In general, I feel that- unless you want or need Pro Tools- its best to go with a different hardware/software combo. I love my Pro Tools, but I need it. You can get better bang for buck in many cases if you don't need it.

I still like the 002 rack, though. 18 ins and outs (4 pres. 4 line, 8 ADAT, 2 S/PDIF) in a firewire rack that comes with Pro Tools AND can be used with other recording programs. This is the one exception to the bang-for-buck clause.

Take care,
Chris

Back