What are some good ways to mic Piano/Sax?

Guitar4life0000

hey, I'm recording a band's full length next week and they told me they wanna record grand piano and saxophone.

What are some good recording techniques/environments to record in? (I have a laptop, so I can bring it literally anywhere to record, so whether it be a huge open reverby room, or my sound absorbing basement, just lemme know:))

Thanks!

-Steve.

I assume you can't move that piano very far, though ;).

Assuming you have to come to the piano and not vice versa, it depends upon the room and on your mic inventory. It also depends upon what kind of sound you want (do you want it to sound like George Winston's Christmas concert or like Dr. John playing along with the Stones?).

If you're looking for a grand, classical grand piano sound, stick it in a fine-sounding studio live room or an amphitheater with wonderful acoustics, grab the best 4-digit condenser or ribbon you can get your paws on, and stick it some 8-10 away from the open lid. Adjust to taste.

Assuming you don't have those conditions to work with, take the two best closest-matched cardioid mics you have, mount them on a boom stand(s) in a stereo configuration and lean them in until they're just 2-3 inches or so above the strings, with the stereo spread aligned to cover low-to-high. Typical placement will be some 6-12 inches below the hammers, but feel free to adjust to taste. The closer to the hammers, the more rock/honky tonk the sound; the farther down away from the hammers, the warmer and more classical the sound..

As far as sax, try a SM57, Sennheiser 421 or 441, hanging some 12" (give or take) in front of the bell and some 6" (give or take) above the bell. Point the mic not directly down the bell, but rather at a point in the sax a couple of inches above the bell. Adjust the mic angle up or down to taste as you test it.

There are (always) other options when can work very well also. But these should get you rolling fairly well.

G.

Back