What are midi controllers and what do they do?

Quick answer, MIDI Controller is a MIDI device used to control other MIDI device. The "master" device gives command to the "slave" either using MIDI interface (din cable or USB). For example, you can trigger Note on / off, change MIDI track level on your sequencer, panning, etc etc. If Garageband is MIDI sequencer, then most likely you can use external MIDI controller to work with it. It can work like mixer depends on your setup & config.

Don't confuse MIDI controllers with control surfaces. "MIDI controller" generally refers to a piano-like keyboard that has no built-in sound source. A "control surface", while it may use MIDI to send control signals, is a device with faders and knobs that is used to control a software mixer or DAW.

Hi All.

I'm just in the process of ordering my components to make a mobile/home studio rig. I'm a bass/guitar player and songwriter but the idea of making my own music really appeals to me. I'll basically be laying down, bass/guitar and vocals and then hoping to do most of the rest with software. i do know other musos though so I'll be enlisting them when I can :)

Forgive my ignorance but I'm really confused about the midi controller. i thought you could just play in some sounds record them to the computer and then rearrange in the sequencer software. When I look at videos on YouTube though people are actually playing them like you would a keyboard as though they're playing live.

I need to buy an AI, Monitor Speakers and decent mic. If I didn't buy a midi controller how fast would I realise I needed one? Do you really need one?

Also, won't a basic thing like Korg MicroKey get you going or would it be a case of needing to upgrade it in a few months.

Thanks in advance and sorry to OP for jumping in on this

You don't need one unless you want to trigger sounds in the computer like piano or synth sounds. Also drums, flutes, trumpets really anything with todays Sampler Workstations and synths available. Do you think you'll need a keyboard?

Forgive my ignorance but I'm really confused about the midi controller. i thought you could just play in some sounds record them to the computer and then rearrange in the sequencer software. When I look at videos on YouTube though people are actually playing them like you would a keyboard as though they're playing live.
You can do both. I have a controller keyboard but I only use it to hook up to samples/VSTis and play live. That's just my chosen way, I prefer to select an instrument , be it violin, flute, sax, electric piano or whatever and play it in real time to the song. You can do it the other way, just play in the notes via MIDI and then select the sound after. Two different approaches.

Back