What amp for an upright bass ?

Colwarter

Can I use my normal bass amp with an upright bass too? I'm planning to buy an upright bass and put a pickup in it to be able to plug it in an amp. I use an Ampeg V4bH with an Ampeg SVT-410HE. So, can I plug an upright bass in it? Will I be able to have a good sound? Thanks a lot.

Yes, of course you can use your bass-guitar amp.

As to whether you will get a good sound, it's really up to you, the strings, the pickup, the room, and your EQ settings, as well as the amp and speaker!

I should have added that piezo-type pickups invariably need a buffering preamp. Whoever makes/sells the pickup should have information about this.

Talkbass.com has a section dedicated to DB. Here's a link to amp & pickup threads: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4

There are certain amps that will work much better with DB. There's also way more to getting a good sound than just the amp.

I get a lot of compliments on my sound. Here's my chain:

Upton Revolution Solo Pickup, plus a Beyer M88 mic into a Dtar Solstice blender, into an SWR SM900 head, into one or two Bergantino 112"s.

Some guys like the sound of just a pickup. I was never happy until I started blending in a mic. I've gone through 6 different pickups and 4 different mics, 3 basses, 5 cabs, 3 heads, countless sets of strings, (and almost 20 years of playing) before I could honestly say I really dig my sound.

Back to your question: Any amp can work if the rest of the chain works well with it, and you like the sound. And AGCurry is right that a preamp can really help with a piezo pickup.

Hey leddy

(getting a mental picture of Motorhead being played on an upright :D )

What kind of bass you got? And could you do me a favor and sometime take an actual measurement (close is OK) of your action? Mine just seems incredibly freakin high. I'm wondering if I should put an adjustable bridge on it. I don't get a chance to talk to other DB players much. (I guess I should follow the link, huh?)

Thanks.

notCardio said:
(getting a mental picture of Motorhead being played on an upright :D )

What kind of bass you got? And could you do me a favor and sometime take an actual measurement (close is OK) of your action? Mine just seems incredibly freakin high. I'm wondering if I should put an adjustable bridge on it. I don't get a chance to talk to other DB players much. (I guess I should follow the link, huh?)

Thanks.

Motorhead?

I'm a jazz player. Those little Bergantino 112's are popular for DB. I'll admit the SM900 is not common for DB, but I like it because of the EQ and the power. My rig is actually quite compact; I can load in and out of gigs in one trip with a small dolly.

I play a new bass. It's a flatback New Standard LaScala. It's hybrid, but unique in that the ribs are carved. Only the back is ply. Some well-known players have been picking these up. It's killer. You can check them out here: http://www.newstandardbass.com/

My strings are 6mm on the g, and 8mm on the E. I'm torn; they're a little too low for my taste (I like to dig in), but I get some tendonitis in the left hand if I raise them much higher. My $.02 is that an adjustable bridge is a must, but not all players feel that way. Generally speaking, your bass will sound better the higher you keep your strings. Better to try to get used to it up high than trying to make it play like an electric bass.

Follow that link, it's a great resource.

Leddy's (I like the ref to Lemmy - he's a bassist afterall) right - a blend is the best option - I'm just an electric bassist & bad 'cellist but the piezo a) needs preamping (& a good one at that) and b) doesn't sound as natural as I had hoped.
Mic'ing it (you can mount a mic if necessary) as well as the bug & blending the results will give a far better result & a great deal of versatility.
Oh, amp for the 'cello - I use a Marshall Superbass MkII as it's the only TUBE job I own or a Behri (yeah I know) bass v amp/DI.

Last edited:
I've only mic'ed a couple DB at bluegrass type festivals, and live I always got the best result with a simple set up, making a foam sandwich and putting a sm58 in it under the bridge section, works good everytime with less feed back, mix to taste jm2cents.

I've played an electric double bass through an Ampeg B100R, at the now defunct Mars Music (Sam Ash is there, now), in Indianapolis. Don't know what brand the electric double bass was, but it sounded just fine to me...blew away a couple of kids, who upon hearing "Money" being played, stopped testing the effects pedals and looked around the corner. "Hey, someone's playing Pink...WHOA!" That was their reaction, when they saw what "Money" was being played on.

I wish I could afford a King Bass...black with hot rod flames. Maybe when I win my huge PowerBall jackpot, one of these days. I don't think I'll hold my breath, for that, however.

Matt

I play Samual Shen basses because #1 they sound phat and #2 they feel really smooth on the fingers....

I never said they were cheap though.....

Back